Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Stainless to aluminium corrosion

Not sure what sort of aluminium alloy - a bit of 5mm sheet bought from local metals supplier.

Tested rivnuts into it yesterday, although I've used 4mm rivnuts before without a "setting tool" getting 6mm rivnuts to set just with two spanners was very difficult indeed, so gave up and tapped 6mm holes in the alloy plate. Hopefully finishing the job today.

Mild steel tanks rust from the outside, especially around the welds. My SS tank rusted along a welded seam. I had the tank steam cleaned, which exposed the pinholes. Heavy plastic tanks are probably best, although the rubber moulded ones are good if they are contained. I sailed on a Nic 32 with just such an arrangement and the tank was over 10 years old.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

With modern bio fuels there is always the possibility of water in your fuel tank. This will rust the internal surfaces of your tank.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Did the job yesterday: My cunning plan of getting a two part tapped alloy backing plate inside the horrible polyethylene tank under a big alloy top plate was a bit of a struggle lining up multiple machine screws and holes but worked in the end. Of course as I was finishing the job I came up with an "extra cunning plan" to improve the access.

Pela-siphoned out 130 litres of diesel into six big drums. Despite a previous go at sucking gunge from the bottom of the tank with a pipe through a narrow hole once the tank was totally empty and I could get an arm and torch in there was a pocket of black jelly at the very lowest point, and the last couple of pints of diesel extracted were murky. I've been using Marine 16 anti-bug fairly regularly, bugs seem to have survived this, or there's been a very duff load of fuel put in.

The Marine 16 will kill the bugs but the dead matter will remain in a low point in the tank until you can physically drain/suck/clean it out.

Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12