Default ST 60 connections.

I have four instruments in the cockpit mounted in a stainless steel enclosure. The Seatalk plugs look watertight but the inputs from the sensors are open. Is it possible/advisable to seal these in some way? Although the enclosure is moderately watertight, there is still the consideration of condensation.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Default Re: ST 60 connections.

As these connections are so small it would be difficult to sleeve with say small heat shrink as dampness if present would still find its way in. I smeared a little non-conducting grease on the connections.

As the connections are 2.8mm spade connectors and you cannot access the open end of the terminal inside the instrument, the only way to moisture-seal these connections is with silicone grease or similar. As Ross says, a small smear on the spade before insertion will probably suffice but for 100% certainty you could do what I did many years ago with an LNB connection on a satellite dish and fill the connector aperture completely with silicone grease before or after pushing on the connectors.

It would be a bit messy and you would need a fair amount of grease (I buy it in 500g tubs) but it would be fully sealed.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    As the connections are 2.8mm spade connectors and you cannot access the open end of the terminal inside the instrument, the only way to moisture-seal these connections is with silicone grease or similar. As Ross says, a small smear on the spade before insertion will probably suffice but for 100% certainty you could do what I did many years ago with an LNB connection on a satellite dish and fill the connector aperture completely with silicone grease before or after pushing on the connectors.

It would be a bit messy and you would need a fair amount of grease (I buy it in 500g tubs) but it would be fully sealed.

Richard
    There's potting compound for that if you're really paranoid. Search for "Magic Power Gel". I've found a little bit of silicone grease completely sufficient though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    There's potting compound for that if you're really paranoid.
    Although you've got to be able to get it out again.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Although you've got to be able to get it out again.

Richard
    That's why I mentioned a specific product for you to search for with just such properties