Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Shotley / Suffolk Yacht Harbour - Pros & Cons

I am currently spending a great year at Haven Marina Ipswich. I originally decided on the Haven as it is close to a train station and pubs/restaurants/shops for visiting family. But, I haven't used the train once, and visits from family rare, and I have only been out of the marina once (on foot) for the maritime festival.

So, next year I am considering moving to a marina that is closer to the sea, and more central for weekend cruising. I'm thinking of either Shotley or Suffolk Yacht Harbour.

The price for both is approximately the same, Shotley has the disadvantage that you need to lock in/out, SYH has the disadvantage that it is 20 minutes further from the sea. based on this, I think I would opt for SYH.

SYH say on their website that they have a waiting list, but I'm guessing I would get in for next year.

But are there any other advantages or disadvantages of either that I should take in to consideration?
    1976 Westerly Centaur, GEMINI

Default Re: Shotley / Suffolk Yacht Harbour - Pros & Cons

SYH has much easier road access. SYH has immediate entry/exit. Shotley is closer to the sea and the Stour. The lock at Shotley can be a delay at peak times, but probably not much more than 15 mins. Shotley, being locked and with 24/7 manning, is more secure. There's more to see at Shotley, with a great view over the harbour.

I wouldn't disagree with Peter in post #2 by much. I don't think there's too much to choose in the drive down, it's only 9 miles from Foxs. Can be frustrating if you get stuck behind someone doing 20MPH, but otherwise it's a 15 minute drive through some nice countryside.

I don't mind the lock, it isn't usually too much of a delay, unless you insist in coming back in at 5PM on a Sunday evening mid season. The entrance to SYH can be a bit hectic on a busy day. Benefits of the lock include the fact that it's manned 24/7 (the guys in the tower do keep a good lookout and the place has really good CCTV, so security is top notch) and it keeps the water levels fairly constant. Visit SYH/Foxs/Woolverstone at LW and imagine dragging a trolley full of gear up the ramps !!

Being staffed 24/7 also means you can get fuel or a bottle of gas anytime. The staff are all really good, both in the tower and the yard.

We are, of course, very close to the sea and the Stour.

The one thing that really lets the place down is the lack of a decent pub/restaurant/clubhouse. If you're driving down you can at least nip to The Rose, the Red Lion at Chelmo', the Butt and Oyster or the newly re-opened Boot at Freston, but i really wish we had a good establishment onsite where all the berth holders frequented for a pint and a gossip. We do have a nice sailing club (albeit no clubhouse/bar) that organises a lot of trips throughout the season though and the vast majority of berth holders are very nice people (as i'm sure they are at SYH).

All in all, i like the place
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

The facilities are much better at SYH, And the local enviroment is also much better for walking etc... itís quieter as you donít get noise from container terminal... itís also cleaner on the boats as you donít get detritus from the stacks on the ships (which isnít really a big deal...)

You get better payment terms as well... the chandlery is superior, there are more services on site, the yacht club is far better than the shipwreck, and itís a short and nice walk to one of the best pubs around... (the ship)... unlike shotley...

The entrance is never a issue in bad weather... versus the lock can be a bit of a cheek clencher above f5 if the wind is up the chuff..

Donít get me wrong... lots to like about shotley, very secure, good staff, probably more responsive in the yard... nice location... better public transport as the bus comes into the yard...

on balance the time you lose going that bit further upstream is about the same as queing for the lock on a busy day...
    and you always seem to to need to wee when youíre in that que... plus of course your on max display when coming through the lock, being no doubt judged in your skill or lack thereof by the crowd...
    Last edited by photodog; 27-08-18 at 21:51.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    SYH has much easier road access. SYH has immediate entry/exit. Shotley is closer to the sea and the Stour. The lock at Shotley can be a delay at peak times, but probably not much more than 15 mins. Shotley, being locked and with 24/7 manning, is more secure. There's more to see at Shotley, with a great view over the harbour.
    Very fair summary.

I’m a customer of SYH and I haven’t had any “issues” with the marina staff there. But I have a friend of twenty years and more who moved to Shotley and will not have anything to do with the SYH marina and yard people under any circumstances, but he is very happy at Shotley.

He does agree with me that the chandlery at SYH is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Very fair summary.

I’m a customer of SYH and I haven’t had any “issues” with the marina staff there. But I have a friend of twenty years and more who moved to Shotley and will not have anything to do with the SYH marina and yard people under any circumstances, but he is very happy at Shotley.

He does agree with me that the chandlery at SYH is good.
    Getting work done by the yard has proven a challenge this year... but the hoist operations first rate, and the on-site services from folks like French marine and Seapower have been excellent, also had some rigging done and they had also been very responsive.

So it’s a mixed bag, They need to fix the communications problems in the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    plus of course your on max display when coming through the lock, being no doubt judged in your skill or lack thereof by the crowd...
    A bit embarrassing when you're sideways in the lock and there's 500 gongoozlers watching.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    A bit embarrassing when you're sideways in the lock and there's 500 gongoozlers watching.
    I thought that was a particularly skilled display on my behalf.....

As an infrequent visitor of both I've found them equally as nice and don't really have a favorite, pros and cons on both sides.
    One thing that hasnt been mentioned is that generally boats behind locks around here seem to suffer less with fouling, in which case Shotley could have the advantage?

Many thanks for all the replies, lots of helpful information.

I'll go and visit both before making the final decision.
    1976 Westerly Centaur, GEMINI

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast