Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Shotley / Suffolk Yacht Harbour - Pros & Cons

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    I guess we've all done that sort of thing at some time. A lot of people seem to be unable to predict the effect of the wind on their boat, and so don't put the correct line on first.
    When we went into Limehouse the stupid lock keeper assumed he knew how my yacht handled better then me. He wanted the stern line, i sail NO its midships first, i can then control the yacht with the gears.
    When i booked out, he said "its MY lock" & its stern line first, stupid old fellow ( i was going to say twat but thought i might get in trouble )
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Cool Re: Shotley / Suffolk Yacht Harbour - Pros & Cons

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Why would you, unless its to get better food ????
    Cos its quite a nice town with a few good eateries and makes a good weekend trip for those if us that have to return on a Monday to keep your pension being paid Quite a few weekends if you wanted for 30 day or if you have to leave your boat due to bad weathr for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by pks1702 View Post
    Cos its quite a nice town with a few good eateries and makes a good weekend trip for those if us that have to return on a Monday to keep your pension being paid Quite a few weekends if you wanted for 30 day or if you have to leave your boat due to bad weathr for the week.
    I spent over 50 yrs paying for mine , thank you
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    I spent over 50 yrs paying for mine , thank you
    Whats up with Burham?

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

I guess we've all done that sort of thing at some time. A lot of people seem to be unable to predict the effect of the wind on their boat, and so don't put the correct line on first.
    The tender made a good fender for his stern though

I have witnessed something similar at Eastbourne except the lock is just a little bit wider so it had turned a full 90 degrees, there but for the grace of God go I...
    Substance over style

A lot of people seem to be unable to predict the effect of the wind on their boat, and so don't put the correct line on first.
    Or find the wind round the lock and tower is heading in a different direction to that in the open water they've just left;
    or don't have a centre cleat;
    or miss the lock cleat with the rope;
    or belatedly realise the crew at the other end of the boat is 'helpfully' pulling in the line with all their might;
    or are single handed;
    or find themselves having to dock on the opposite side to where they'd set the ropes up ready, or where the prop wash works against them;
    or have a stiff and/or uncertain gear change;
    or are being pushed around by the prop wash from the boat in front tied up but still in gear;
    or have the end of the boathook part company with the handle at the critical moment;
    or simple tiredness/brain fade . . .

I know, I've tried them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    The tender made a good fender for his stern though

I have witnessed something similar at Eastbourne except the lock is just a little bit wider so it had turned a full 90 degrees, there but for the grace of God go I...
    We have got the business of locking down to a fine art. How we got there I leave to your imagination.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I was in Ipswich lock once attached to the pontoon, when a Stella came in astern of us and finished up pointing out...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    I was in Ipswich lock once attached to the pontoon, when a Stella came in astern of us and finished up pointing out...
    It can be done very smoothly with a larger boat than a Stella in a wide and empty ‘waisted’ lock - not one of those mentioned – but it would be immodest to say more about the accomplishment.

PS 'Waisted' in the sense of the older gentleman, of course.
    Last edited by Hydrozoan; 30-08-18 at 09:22.

Since we're drifting both in locks and thread (sounds like knitting or perhaps nitting), the only 'disadvantage' I found lobbing off my bilge keels. Avec the bilge keels I could creep v. slowly under steerage way (cos of the drag). Sans bilge keels in the first manoeuvre since lobbing off the bilge keels, her bow blew across the lock (Heybridge) in two and half moments. Also while drifting I had always prided myself of never needing reverse coming up to the mooring. First mooring after lobbing off the bilge keels, I glid (sic I glide, we glide, you glide) by the mooring. Had to train myself again!
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast