Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Holland next summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Athene V30 View Post
    Singlehanded? Simple? At least with a finger pontoon I can secure the midships line and the boat won't go anywhere. Agree with a crew they are not as daunting as first appear but I have yet to master the art of being in three places at once! ;-)
    I have not done a box on my own, yet, but I have seen it done many times. There doesn't seem to be a single best way but none of those I saw had any difficulty. For a resident, having stern lines of a preset length helps of course, and for visitors help is often at hand on the shore. Do you fly the single-handed pennant? I gather it is very effective in Holland.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I have not done a box on my own, yet, but I have seen it done many times. There doesn't seem to be a single best way but none of those I saw had any difficulty. For a resident, having stern lines of a preset length helps of course, and for visitors help is often at hand on the shore. Do you fly the single-handed pennant? I gather it is very effective in Holland.
    Have done it many many times, very few times end up in a pickle.

Most boxes have fore and aft lines. Many have boats either side - plenty of fenders and you won't go very far or damage anything.

If there are fore and aft lines, and a cross wind, then get some of your boat in the box (to pivot point if really blowing); drop a stern line over a post (preferably windward) or two if you are able, and pick up the windward fore and aft line and drop a bow line over it and secure. Now you are in control and just need to get the other lines rigged.

Useful tip - if you get both stern lines on, put the engine gently ahead and ease the stern lines until your bows are near the pontoon. The engine will then keep you reasonably straight and reduce the risk of you ending up side on.

If there are no fore and aft lines and no boats next to year it is harder, though at least there is then nothing to damage if it goes wrong!

It is really just practice and confidence, and thinking different situations through.

Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post

Useful tip - if you get both stern lines on, put the engine gently ahead and ease the stern lines until your bows are near the pontoon. The engine will then keep you reasonably straight and reduce the risk of you ending up side on.
    I was watching a sailing school in Muiderzand teaching this method the other day - it seemed to work extremely well (despite the posts leaning!).

Good tip about the fore and aft lines too. Thanks.

PS. The Dutch are really good at lassoing cleats too. It’s something we’ll have to practice more.

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat in Summer!

Most boxes have fore and aft lines. Many have boats either side - plenty of fenders and you won't go very far or damage anything.
    Thanks, pretty much what I have discovered although I need to try the two stern lines and engine technique. Should be easier next season when I take a permanent berth rather than roam from place to place.

Interestingly most Dutch people I speak with say to tie on but not deploy the fenders until inside the box as they can catch on the piles. Something else to do whilst lassoing a post, catching the side rope, steering etc!

Interestingly most Dutch people I speak with say to tie on but not deploy the fenders until inside the box as they can catch on the piles. Something else to do whilst lassoing a post, catching the side rope, steering etc!
    I can well believe that. Don't really find it a problem going in with my beam, and yours may not be an issue too often (you have about 1.5ft more beam than me) - you could always leave the one up at maximum beam I suppose. The area of the boat initially at risk is further forward - so long as you don't need to rush there is usually more time than you think. At least you have a boat that tends to stay where it is and not get taken by the wind so much as modern designs, so tend to have a bit more time. Coming out the fenders catch more often, but usually got more time to push off or move fender for some reason.

I can well believe that. Don't really find it a problem going in with my beam, and yours may not be an issue too often (you have about 1.5ft more beam than me) - you could always leave the one up at maximum beam I suppose. The area of the boat initially at risk is further forward - so long as you don't need to rush there is usually more time than you think. At least you have a boat that tends to stay where it is and not get taken by the wind so much as modern designs, so tend to have a bit more time. Coming out the fenders catch more often, but usually got more time to push off or move fender for some reason.
    run large dia lines from forrard to aft with adjustable light lines to drape along the hull at max beam, these act as temp rubbing strips.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

You will notice that many Dutch yachts have a wooden rubbing strake for this purpose. That allows them to slide along the piles without damaging the hull. Many scandinavian boats such as Hallberg Rassy or Malö have a similar strake with a stainless strip for protection.

I have two lengths of 50mm hemp that I string along each side of the boat , hung from the toerail as the previous
    poster says using light lines. It works well. When being asked about my beam for boxes in Holland I always add a
    bit otherwise you can find yourself pushing the posts apart to get into your box.

The business about fenders is a matter of judgement. Many boxes, such as those at Makkum marina are quite large enough for average boats to enter with fenders but if there is any doubt it is better to keep them on deck ready to kick into position. For any problematic box, especially those which are very wide, my solution is to come to a stop halfway in, sort out lines and fenders if necessary, and then proceed. Often, people on shore will think that you must a complete ninny and come to help/defend their own boats.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat in Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Often, people on shore will think that you must a complete ninny and come to help/defend their own boats.
    Ah, you have seen my attempts then!

Seriously, thanks all for sharing the knowledge! Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread. The Netherlands is a great place to visit, I liked it so much I am staying this winter and next season for certain! But then again that has a little bit to do with meeting someone too!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast