Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Holland next summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Athene V30 View Post
    Ah, you have seen my attempts then!

Seriously, thanks all for sharing the knowledge! Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread. The Netherlands is a great place to visit, I liked it so much I am staying this winter and next season for certain! But then again that has a little bit to do with meeting someone too!
    You little minx you, Oh do tell
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat in Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    You little minx you, Oh do tell
    Ha, you have met him briefly! At Foxes!

A few random observations.
    We usually go Burnham, Ramsgate, Nieuwpoort, Vlissingen, all about 8 hr trips and easy navigation.
    This year we did Burnham to Ijmuiden 150 miles 30 hrs mostly motoring in flat calm. We had two 18 year olds so thought that would make sense, but they went to bed at midnight and didn't emerge until the sun was warm!
    The best bit about Netherlands is finding the unexpected. If you don't like one place move a few kilometres to another.
    Many Brits tend to do Middelburg, Goes, Zierekzee, Willemstad. All nice places but there are hundreds equally as good and less crowded.
    Don't fret too much, just do it, it's a super area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    A few random observations.
    We usually go Burnham, Ramsgate, Nieuwpoort, Vlissingen, all about 8 hr trips and easy navigation.
    This year we did Burnham to Ijmuiden 150 miles 30 hrs mostly motoring in flat calm. We had two 18 year olds so thought that would make sense, but they went to bed at midnight and didn't emerge until the sun was warm!
    The best bit about Netherlands is finding the unexpected. If you don't like one place move a few kilometres to another.
    Many Brits tend to do Middelburg, Goes, Zierekzee, Willemstad. All nice places but there are hundreds equally as good and less crowded.
    Don't fret too much, just do it, it's a super area.
    I suppose it depends on the wind, I did Lowestoft to IJmuiden in 15 hours during the spell of northerlies and sailed all the way. On the way back I had a NW and sailed almost all the way to Orford before the wind died and took 20 hours berth to berth from Seaport IJmuiden to Levington. 30 hours motoring would have destroyed my will to live ;-)
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    I suppose it depends on the wind, I did Lowestoft to IJmuiden in 15 hours during the spell of northerlies and sailed all the way. On the way back I had a NW and sailed almost all the way to Orford before the wind died and took 20 hours berth to berth from Seaport IJmuiden to Levington. 30 hours motoring would have destroyed my will to live ;-)
    Agreed it wasn't fun. This was mid July and we had had consistent East & North easterlies. The crew had a limited time they were available and a forecast of a couple of days of South Easterlies appeared so we decided to go for it. The South Easterlies never happened but we did get a few hours of North wind so we got some sailing in. The forecast never mentioned fog but we got that as well.

Hi Jezjez, I'm going to Holland next season in a small group. I've sent you a PM with brief details and contact info. Andy

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Try motoring up the Red Sea for a day and a night with thunder and lightning all around and a £5000 deductible .

Give me the North Sea any time .

Or, maybe not.

We've gone from Harwich to Breskens, easier to get into and always space whereas Vlissingen may be full. The next day into the canal system. Other times have gone via Ostend or Dunkirk.

From memory Vlissengen lock isnt 24hr, first lock around 06.00

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    From memory Vlissengen lock isnt 24hr, first lock around 06.00
    I'm pretty sure the lock into Kanaal door Walcheren is 24hr.
    Maybe not the one to Michiel de Ruyterhaven.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast