Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Proposal for PWC (aka jetski) pontoon parking at Brightlingsea

Fortunately it's one person and he isn't an ECForumite.

On a bizarre note, I always loved the sound of a Seagull in an early still morning on the Blackwater.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat in Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    On a bizarre note, I always loved the sound of a Seagull in an early still morning on the Blackwater.
    Assuming you mean the outboard they had a special kind of noise (when they worked)! If you mean the bird (add own expletives) I had quite enough of them in Boulogne and various other fishing ports this summer!

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat in Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by NUTMEG View Post
    I used to be a regular visitor here. Reading the contentious posts hear have reminded me why I stopped.
    Me too.

I don't like the noise they make. That's all. I don't like the smell of London either so I avoid it if I can when I do not need to be there. I avoid areas where there are lots of noisy PWCs. I've no problem with them or their riders, I just leisurely move on in peace when I can. I wouldn't expect London to move for me, but I still don't have to like it its smell.

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Fortunately it's one person and he isn't an ECForumite.

As do I, though not experienced on that particular river. I would love to be able to poodle up the crouch without being hindered by yachts getting in my way, PWC playing in my wash at 40ktns I find quite entertaining.
    Others want total peace & quiet, which is sometimes nice but I wouldn't want it all the time. Live & let live, if I want to do 40 knts I go somewhere I can do it safely & without upsetting anyone, not just outside the 8knt marker.
    This costs me a considerable amount of fuel to get out far enough, but I do it anyway.
    If you want total peace go somewhere where it is likely to happen, not somewhere PWC are likely to be.
    An example of unreasonable expectations is when we took out eldest sons girlfreinds parents from Fambridge to Burnham & back, Son was driving through the Fambridge moorings very slowly, tick over so about 4.5 knts, no more wash than a small dinghy. There was an elderly gentlemen started shouting about spilling his tea. Laura's parents, both doctors so well educated, asked what on earth he was shouting about so I explained he was being slightly over the top about our almost non existent wash. At the time we had a 43ft twin engine mobo, being driven as courteously as possible as Sam was trying to make a good impression. We didn't shout back, live & let live.

Yes a Seagull aka outboard. I agree the noise is noisy but it is something evocative about my first days of sailing. I always tried to go into the basin at Boulogne - avoids the Seagulls aka poopy machines.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Get yourself a 2hp air cooled Honda, I keep on thinking they're a Seagull...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
    As do I, though not experienced on that particular river. I would love to be able to poodle up the crouch without being hindered by yachts getting in my way, PWC playing in my wash at 40ktns I find quite entertaining.
    Others want total peace & quiet, which is sometimes nice but I wouldn't want it all the time. Live & let live, if I want to do 40 knts I go somewhere I can do it safely & without upsetting anyone, not just outside the 8knt marker.
    This costs me a considerable amount of fuel to get out far enough, but I do it anyway.
    If you want total peace go somewhere where it is likely to happen, not somewhere PWC are likely to be.
    An example of unreasonable expectations is when we took out eldest sons girlfreinds parents from Fambridge to Burnham & back, Son was driving through the Fambridge moorings very slowly, tick over so about 4.5 knts, no more wash than a small dinghy. There was an elderly gentlemen started shouting about spilling his tea. Laura's parents, both doctors so well educated, asked what on earth he was shouting about so I explained he was being slightly over the top about our almost non existent wash. At the time we had a 43ft twin engine mobo, being driven as courteously as possible as Sam was trying to make a good impression. We didn't shout back, live & let live.
    A 43 foot, twin screw, motorboat, at 4.5 knots makes no more wash than a small dinghy?

Sorry, after over 40 years in both sailing and motorboats, I think you are guilty of either wishful thinking, or of hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by NealB View Post
    A 43 foot, twin screw, motorboat, at 4.5 knots makes no more wash than a small dinghy?

Sorry, after over 40 years in both sailing and motorboats, I think you are guilty of either wishful thinking, or of hyperbole.
    Do you have a 43ft twin screw motorboat ? We have sold her to BCU so ask if you can borrow her, Absolute called Atlas, I can assure you at 4.5 knts wash is virtually zero, just a little white pattern in the water.Actually at that speed all the mobo's we have had have been similar.
    Last edited by rubberduck; 02-09-18 at 18:35.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
    Do you have a 43ft twin screw motorboat ? We have sold her to BCU so ask if you can borrow her, Absolute called Atlas, I can assure you at 4.5 knts wash is virtually zero, just a little white pattern in the water.Actually at that speed all the mobo's we have had have been similar.
    Hi rubberduck, I really dont eed to drive one, to experience the wake.

For example, just this afternoon, I was rowing my 8 foot inflatable along the Twizzle. Now that's a small dinghy, and our wash was almost nonexistent. It had absolutely no discernible effect on the moored and anchored boats.

Quite a few considerate motor boats passed us at speeds that I would guess were around four to five knots. Very conscientious, civil and responsible.

I absolutely assure you that their washes were bigger, steeper, faster and incomparably more powerful than mine. They set the moored and anchored boats a-rolling, and caused me to head up into their wash.

Please don't get me wrong.... It was not life threatening, nor eally any great nuisance, but definitely more effect than a small dinghy.
    Last edited by NealB; 02-09-18 at 19:40.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast