Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Default Re: Are sailors standards of behaviour declining

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Hee Hee my wise old yoga teacher from Tibet said some very wise words to our group , in that it is those after us that are living in the now and we as we get older are living in the past what we perceive as bad manners or rudeness others it is there normal lifes , therefore we cannot judge those after us, as they live in a different world , there will be some on thIs forum who will be horrified to know that I eat with my elbows on the table and sometimes speak with my mouth full (THE HORROR). so do not judge on manners or etiquette because you came from a different time.
    As your “wise, old yoga teacher” obviously came from a ‘different’ time presumably he is also to be ignored in similar fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Last week, locking up at Fort Augustus with half a dozen hire cruisers and one private mobo. Lord of the Glens taking up much of the space at the top, only one berth with shore power free on the pontoon, we got it, mainly by oafish behaviour as described by the OP and some deft manouvreing. I was quite pleased with myself, particularly when some of the others had to go on to Kytra, several miles from the pub.
    That's why I have a 1-into-2 blue connector - particularly useful on busy paycard pillars.
    Caley canal hire cruisers and a mobo are fair game and I would have been disappointed if you had lost that race. I would regard the berth as suitable compensation for going up the locks with that lot.

Maybe the decrease in standards of etiquette and manners seen in boating is a result of most folk "learning " from schools who have profitability and time constraints on their mind. They don't teach the niceties.
    Ensigns, lights, speed, fenders, crossing rafting boats, ....... the list is endless.
    Grump, grump.

I try to be philosophical when occasionally people lack consideration over moorings etc. as you never know if they are distracted by a boat problem or just having a bad day at the office. I did struggle to maintain equilibrium when somebody knocked my dock fender off and also left my dock lines in the water this summer. Presumably they were in a hurry to leave and it was easiest to untie and toss my lines in the water.

Today was a bit of a nadir too as somebody has left a very large dent in my car whilst it was parked at Bucklers. No note was left, no apology made and I have to pick up the bill. Let's face it if somebody has a yacht they are not short of money, so bad as that would be it is not that whoever did it cannot afford to pay up or let their insurer pay up. The most annoying thing is that there were hardly any cars in a vey large car park so goodness knows how they managed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltshire View Post
    The most annoying thing is that there were hardly any cars in a vey large car park so goodness knows how they managed it!
    Does not matter. My wife goes to the supermarket & always parks well away from other cars if possible. When she returns it is odds on that someone will have parked right next to her, even with loads of space all around. I think people are worried that their car might feel lonely when left.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Let's face it if somebody has a yacht they are not short of money . . .
    Harrumph!

Let's face it if somebody has a yacht they are not short of money
    Well they probably weren't short of money the day before they bought it...

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Does not matter. My wife goes to the supermarket & always parks well away from other cars if possible. When she returns it is odds on that someone will have parked right next to her, even with loads of space all around. I think people are worried that their car might feel lonely when left.
    Pretty much like the average anchorage.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch01527 View Post
    Somewhat unusually for me I did remain calm, reasonable and polite. I made no comment or gestures either on the water or in the pub later when the other guy came in. I considered talking to him but decided not to. I have a tendency to be a little too direct at times and as a 19 stone ex rugby forward with a face and build reflecting that history I can unintentionally be a little intimidating at times.
    I think you have totally mis read the other yachtmans actions. After this post I would say he just did not understand what you were trying to do. I feel he just decided to anchor. He presumed you were not anchoring there and just though I’ll get ahead a get settled in the hook.
    I dont think he could have done it on purpose the last person you want to upset is someone of your build and size lol
    Last edited by robertj; 31-10-18 at 17:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Donald
    I wasn't aware that the RHYC required a certain standard of seamanship from their members
    Donald
    Well, they damned well should do.....

That's the problem with wearing a club burgee or ensign - you really are seen as an "ambassador" and our errors could reflect badly on the club or association.

If you think you are going to make a mess of things, my suggestion is to fit reversible dodgers with "Claymore" or some other equally innocent party printed on the false side.
    Ω

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast