Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Default Re: Are sailors standards of behaviour declining

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Unfortunately the Crinan Canal can be a very good place to see some shocking manners, though still only from a minority. It always seems to be visiting English boats, too, importing Solent bustle to the sleepy West Highlands.
    Come come! Only time I was ever actually hit in a Scottish canal by another boat was by a local work boat. Admittedly it was a Sunday morning and so they were probably still pissed, but oafishness knows no bounds.

Not meant to be snooty or know it all, but my no 1 tip for keeping blood pressure low and living a long and happy life is never assume conspiracy when simple co&^ up fits the facts.

The bloke coming past may have simply made a pigs-ear of it by not realising what you wanted and is embarrassed, or thinking 'bloody beginner' (whether right or wrong isn't relevant), or just having a moment of PMT. Or he my be a prat, but what counts above all is not to let it get to you! Nothing bad happened.

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    I think you overestimate how clear your intentions were to the other boat.
    +1

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by STILL AFLOAT View Post
    marine division of the travellers.
    [...]
    techy type tossers
    You mean those idiots in 12m boats who insist on using that new-fangled metric stuff?

hmm...sounds familiar but I was in Brighton on the weekend so nowhere near wales

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    It always seems to be visiting English boats, too, importing Solent bustle to the sleepy West Highlands.
    Our worst experience in the canal was with four Scottish bumblies who pushed passed as as we were entering at Ardrishaig.

Once inside the sea lock, they then told us that two people couldn't possibly take a boat through. We'd done it many times before.

It turned out that even four of them on board they we incapable of controlling their warps or their yacht. After a couple of locks we decided to avoid the possibility of a collision by tying up and letting these clowns get away through on their own.

Sadly, that boat was flying a RHYC burgee. Their behaviour and boat handling fell below the standards that I would expect from that club.
    Ω

Of course , standards are declining, just look at the marine division of the travellers.
    Add to that, the advent of cheap GPS units, that now allow the uninformed, to go to sea, then try to get help ,after a lightning strike takes out their electrics ? Or any other electrical failure ?
    A lot of the clowns I know, dont even bother with paper charts, since the laptop does it all, until it stops working, for whatever reason.
    Yes I still carry my sextant and my air nav books. I have a small vhf and a small gps ,in carrymat foam lined tins, that act as farraday cages, so even after a lightning strike, I have short range coms + gps with spare batteries.
    I cannot remember the ammount of times , I have had to explain to, techy type tossers, Ok if you are mid atlantic & suffer an electronic breakdown ??
    The sun rises in the East & sets in the West, keep following that, and with no nav gear at all, you will reach land eventually.
    I do not think they do it on purpouse, they are just so full of their mobile phones and their Twit Face Likes, that they walk into lamp posts, cars ,etc, and do not change their ideas at sea.
    Is this you?

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20180122142873

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    Sadly, that boat was flying a RHYC burgee. Their behaviour and boat handling fell below the standards that I would expect from that club.
    A wee note to the commodore of the RHYC was in order, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    No , what does your response have to do with this thread ?

No , what does your response have to do with this thread ?
    It was a perfect and funny response to the post it addressed

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    Our worst experience in the canal was with four Scottish bumblies who pushed passed as as we were entering at Ardrishaig.

Once inside the sea lock, they then told us that two people couldn't possibly take a boat through. We'd done it many times before.

It turned out that even four of them on board they we incapable of controlling their warps or their yacht. After a couple of locks we decided to avoid the possibility of a collision by tying up and letting these clowns get away through on their own.

There - at least - 2 clubs with those initials, and somewhat similar ensigns. Both have a defaced blue with a gold lion thereon. One is Rampant and the other Passant. As our club is one of them I am curious to know to which the offender belonged?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast