Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Are sailors standards of behaviour declining

Ah ok, guess you have not done any ocean crossings, and therefore have not experienced the problems, that exist , out there.
    OK thats fine , too.

The one that made me facepalm recently was this...I was waiting to enter Sutton Marina in Plymouth, just milling around outside waiting for the gates to open, when an elderly couple in a mobo basically pushed past me the moment the gates opened up. They then took up position about halfway along the pontoon (rather then squeezing right up) and left me a very short space to tie up behind them in.

Once the lock had flooded and the inner gates opened, I basically said "well go on then" hoping they'd stop faffing and go into the marina, to be told "oh no, they we aren't actually going in"

Well thanks for barging past with no bloody reason and then leaving me a much trickier departure as I now had to spring off to get round them! Muppets!!!!
    Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
    49er GBR340 "20KSB"/Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"

Quote Originally Posted by Leighb View Post
    There - at least - 2 clubs with those initials, and somewhat similar ensigns. Both have a defaced blue with a gold lion thereon. One is Rampant and the other Passant. As our club is one of them I am curious to know to which the offender belonged?
    The yin founded in 1881 that is most likely to have a boat with four Scottish bumblies has the rights to an undefaced blue.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    It was a perfect and funny response to the post it addressed
    You are most kind.

Quote Originally Posted by STILL AFLOAT View Post
    Ah ok, guess you have not done any ocean crossings
    No , what does your response have to do with this thread ?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Iain C View Post
    Once the lock had flooded and the inner gates opened, I basically said "well go on then" hoping they'd stop faffing and go into the marina, to be told "oh no, they we aren't actually going in"
    WTF?

Why would someone go into the Sutton Harbour lock if they weren't going through into the basin?

Not surprised you were annoyed

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    No , what does your response have to do with this thread ?

Pete
    Yes, but I'm equally bemused at what that has to do with this anchoring thread?

I made a mistake a week ago coming out a marina on the Hamble. Almost immediately in the main channel the boat in front appeared to alter to starboard (toward the fuel pontoon). To give him room I altered to port. The boat in front then suddenly just stopped with a good dose of astern. I had way on and was committed to my manoeuvre and his sudden stopping forced me to make my turn to port more extreme, but there was another yacht on my quarter who I inadvertently blocked and caused to alter himself to avoid a collision. I immediately apologised to this yacht, who acknowledged my apology and said he'd clocked what was going on with the yacht in front. When I hailed the yacht in front the crew completely ignored me. (The only other thing I recall about their dirty Westerley was that it had no ensign.)

So there's good manners and bad, good seamanship and bad, and it was probably always thus.
    Plan B?

I have not read all te thread but I do wish to comment that sometimes it can be very frustrating following people who will not get a move on. My gear lever jumps out of gear at a certain point & the revs at the point it will not do this are about 1200. This gives me a spedd of about 3 kts. So if i have to follow someone doing less than 3 kts I have to keep going in and out of gear. I have just had a basin full of this in the dutch canals where people have slowed down miles too early approaching bridges or locks or just meandered down a canal. The only alternative I have is to stop all together or pass them. Passing makes it look like I am pushing in, but I am not doing this on purpose. I just have to do something. As a result I find it better to get in front ASAP & move on, then if a lock comes up stop & let some following boats go in ( if not far behind) then follow in but overtake them after exiting. I wonder if the problem the OP encountered was something similar. The boat following had no idea what the harbour master had told the Op to do & had no idea what he was faffing about at, so just burned through & got on with the process of anchoring. If the OP knew where he was going one might ask why he was dawdling. Not the answer he wants but!!!!!
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    I have not read all te thread but I do wish to comment that sometimes it can be very frustrating following people who will not get a move on. My gear lever jumps out of gear at a certain point . . . .
    Well, perhaps understandable if the boat in question had the same problem as you and there were several miles of canal ahead, but the OP said they were heading straight at a beach 300 yds ahead. It wouldn't take a lot of knocking in and out of gear to accommodate that, and as the result was the OP having to take urgent avoiding action it was not just rude but hazardous and contrary to ColRegs.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast