Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Are sailors standards of behaviour declining

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    My estimate is an 80% chance that the other skipper was being rude and a 20% chance that he misread the situation.
    In which case let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume he's in the 20pc. Everyone's happier that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
    So in situations like the one described, how do these inconsiderate people learn, and become experienced?
    By remaining calm, reasonable and polite.

Don't do as I did in the Crinan by becoming visibly annoyed. Since then, when people have done daft things (we all have ....) I just smile at them and keep our own boat out of harm's way.
    Ω

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    By remaining calm, reasonable and polite.
    Somewhat unusually for me I did remain calm, reasonable and polite. I made no comment or gestures either on the water or in the pub later when the other guy came in. I considered talking to him but decided not to. I have a tendency to be a little too direct at times and as a 19 stone ex rugby forward with a face and build reflecting that history I can unintentionally be a little intimidating at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch01527 View Post
    Somewhat unusually for me I did remain calm, reasonable and polite...
    Well done!
    Plan B?

Quote Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
    In this situation, if I was the OP, I would have gone alongside the other vessel, rafted to him (in a seaman like manner) with springs to keep masts apart
    An unnecessary manoeuvre involving boat contact in order to "teach someone a lesson" would not be something I would include in my definition of seamanship however it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Well, there's Royal Gourock, Royal Northern and Clyde, Royal Western, Royal Highland and probably Royal Gibraltar just to name a few.
    These all wear the Undefaced blue as do many others, but I was commenting on the absence of a crown on a defaced ensign.

No idea why there is a problem , no rules of the seas were broken , the other boat probably just new the waters better and went faster , how were they supposed to know the ops intentions, one mans manners and politeness is an other mans woes no such thing as politeness and good manners on the sea , treat those the way you would like to be treated , if you like being an arse expect arseines back ,
    I would have laughed it off and went somewhere else, I don't own the sea bed and if someone gets there before me through determination or accident who cares what am I going to do hit them lol,
    MOVE ON AND CARRY ON
    Good not to approach him in the pub as you would be perceived as the aggressor as they don't know what they have done , have a pint and laugh it off it wont be your first time or last it happens we can not all be from the same standards of etiquette from a bygone era

Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Leighb View Post
    There - at least - 2 clubs with those initials, and somewhat similar ensigns. Both have a defaced blue with a gold lion thereon. One is Rampant and the other Passant. As our club is one of them I am curious to know to which the offender belonged?
    So am I.

Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
    worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
    corrupt.

Horace, ~20BC.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast