Default Re: Are sailors standards of behaviour declining

Quote Originally Posted by Robih View Post
    Knob
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch01527 View Post
    what a ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by STILL AFLOAT View Post
    tossers
    Quote Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
    I would have gone alongside the other vessel, rafted to him [...] Especially if I had my other prop and hooker as crew!
    I have a tendency to be a little too direct at times and as a 19 stone ex rugby forward with a face and build reflecting that history I can unintentionally be a little intimidating at times.
    Given that many in a younger generation might assume the best in people until that assumption was no longer viable and then just say "sh!t happens" , get on with things that matter and let karma sort the rest out...do you think such trendy liberal attitudes might be what's causing these declining standards?

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    So am I.
    +1 Now I'm curious to know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    Our worst experience in the canal was with four Scottish bumblies who pushed passed as as we were entering at Ardrishaig.

Once inside the sea lock, they then told us that two people couldn't possibly take a boat through. We'd done it many times before.

It turned out that even four of them on board they we incapable of controlling their warps or their yacht. After a couple of locks we decided to avoid the possibility of a collision by tying up and letting these clowns get away through on their own.

Sadly, that boat was flying a RHYC burgee. Their behaviour and boat handling fell below the standards that I would expect from that club.
    Donald
    I wasn't aware that the RHYC required a certain standard of seamanship from their members
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    No idea why there is a problem , no rules of the seas were broken
    Manoeuvre described seems to me contrary to -
    Rule 2 - Precaution of ordinary seamanship or the special circumstances of the case.
    Rule 13 - Overtaking vessel to keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.

Given that I started the thread even I am getting a little bored by the debate.

You had to be there but the reality is there was no possible misinterpretation, some guy thought it was ok to steam past at c7 knots and come to an abrupt stop 50 yards in front of me and cause me to manoeuvre to avoid him because he wanted the safe ancourage spot.

I have not claimed that that broke any of the collision regulations just that it was bad manners and arrogant, boorish behaviour.

No big deal, I did not react and anchored elsewhere. I would not do that to anyone but obviously an significant number of people on this forum think that is ok. Reverting to my northern rugby player roots, the guy was an arrogant prat with no seamanship skills and anyone who behaves or advocates behaving in a similar way lessens the appeal of our hobby.

The two other boats who left full navigation steaming lights on when anchored are simply incompetent.
    Last edited by Dutch01527; 04-09-18 at 22:50.

Very interesting thread as the OP and the various responses display such a variety in the human nature.I have noticed that it doesn't take long before any OP complaining, however gently or reasonably or with justification, about anything is told they are mistaken by about post 10 and wholly in the wrong by about #30.I think the OP to a large extent answered his own question by his own mannerly behaviour in the face of serious provocation in the first situation; despite the contraints in my own situation (wife who would deplore a scene, profession and being a short ar*e) I am not sure I could have been as restrained and well mannered. It seems that the first situation has largely been considered from the point of view of the second skipper's ("S2") perception of what the OP was doing. Surely this is a mistaken and we should be considering what S2 was doing: he was intending to anchor in difficult waters in which the good holding ground is a small/limited area and which required a considerable depth of rode. If this was in YM's 'A question of seamanship', who in their right mind would answer: you should approach at 7kn, overtake at close quarters a boat on the same course, shortly after overtaking the boat you throw the anchor over thus blocking the path of the overtaken boat so they have to alter coarse. That would be the comedy answer in a Christmas specialSurely anyone doing that would fail their RYA practical test ? The discussion about the OP's intention is whatifery - his path was blocked intentionally by an overtaking boat. If his intentions were not clear it adds to the gravity of the situation rather than excuses it. Being sneaky is not necessarily bad seamanship but just extremely bad manners. If he had steamed ahead suspecting what OP was doing and dropped his anchor a mile ahead, that would be sneaky but not bad seamanship. What S2 did here was both bad seamanship and extremely bad manners.So I applaud the OP's conduct.

Given that I started the thread even I am getting a little bored by the debate...
    Just to throw something else in. Any reason why the other boat couldn't have called you on the radio to ask your intentions? Or does your third paragraph explain why not?

I've not read all of this thread. The first time I anchored off Porlock we dragged the anchor, not long later I started using a different technique. While still moving forward I lower the anchor until it's just touching the surface. As the anchor drags it's nose across the seabed it's amazing how much you can feel, even with the chain over a roller. At places like Porlock, Minehead and Combe Martin you can find the sandy spots easily. It won't help the bad manners but should help with a long sleep!
    The comment about the Crinan canal on page one reminded me of motoring up the Avon to the Bristol festival once. As I got to Seamills the Matthew was coming the other way and another yacht overtook me just as we were passing, making it unnecessarily tight. Rick, the Matthew skipper, quietly made his feelings about the other skipper known to me. I continued up river as the yacht disappeared ahead of me. When I got to the lock, the lock keepers were kind enough to hold the gates for me, I then took pleasure in heading up to the yacht and just putting one, mid, rope on his boat. No long lines to mess about with as the boats lift, no fenders on the muddy walls putting dirt on the hull and I was first out of the lock. Tortoise and hare plus a little satisfaction!
    Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 05-09-18 at 00:35.
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    I've not read all of this thread. The first time I anchored off Porlock we dragged the anchor, not long later I started using a different technique. While still moving forward I lower the anchor until it's just touching the surface. As the anchor drags it's nose across the seabed it's amazing how much you can feel, even with the chain over a roller. At places like Porlock, Minehead and Combe Martin you can find the sandy spots easily. It won't help the bad manners but should help with a long sleep.
    Allan, that is genius. What a simple and elegant solution. I will practice it when I next have a chance. Thank you.

Allan, that is genius. What a simple and elegant solution. I will practice it when I next have a chance. Thank you.
    Well, many thanks for that! I'd say it's good but I'm happy to accept genius.
    The last time I looked the Google earth view of the Bristol channel was taken at highish water. previously it was taken at low water which was better. West of Foreland it was possible to find sandy patches showing up. I had these marked on the chartplotter of my boat.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast