Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Are sailors standards of behaviour declining

we have been carved up in small boats by bigger yachts and mobos on the solent so many times we dont even get wound up about it any more.
    But then again, we now have a kayak, and a copy of Cockleshell Heroes, so we may sneak out with a limpet mine or two of a night Riverhogs beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Well, many thanks for that! I'd say it's good but I'm happy to accept genius.
    Allan
    And there folks the good/bad balance is restored. Thanks Allan for showing that good mannered boaters are alive and well.

I still say no rules of the sea were broken , and getting angry or abusive in your mind is as waste of time and good energy , sorry to the OP but when we are frustrated and angry we can and are likley to exaggerate what is going on , you say he was going seven knots , how do you know this , you say he was 50 yards away , it is always hard to distinguish distance on the water , was he really that close for you take evasive action , if so why not get onto the VHF and tell him to back off , if he got to the anchor position first then as the boat behind you should have given him space to manoeuvre and get out of his way
    as to saying that your not angry and getting bored of this post , if you re read your first post it does sound if your angry and pixxxd of, so expect a discussion on the matter
    no we were not there to witness it but as everything in life we tend to expand on the the situation as anger gets the better of us, the other boater did nothing wrong but dent your ego and you came onto a public forum to vent your anger .

Quote Originally Posted by Poecheng View Post
    Very interesting thread as the OP and the various responses display such a variety in the human nature.I have noticed that it doesn't take long before any OP complaining, however gently or reasonably or with justification, about anything is told they are mistaken by about post 10 and wholly in the wrong by about #30.I think the OP to a large extent answered his own question by his own mannerly behaviour in the face of serious provocation in the first situation; despite the contraints in my own situation (wife who would deplore a scene, profession and being a short ar*e) I am not sure I could have been as restrained and well mannered. It seems that the first situation has largely been considered from the point of view of the second skipper's ("S2") perception of what the OP was doing. Surely this is a mistaken and we should be considering what S2 was doing: he was intending to anchor in difficult waters in which the good holding ground is a small/limited area and which required a considerable depth of rode. If this was in YM's 'A question of seamanship', who in their right mind would answer: you should approach at 7kn, overtake at close quarters a boat on the same course, shortly after overtaking the boat you throw the anchor over thus blocking the path of the overtaken boat so they have to alter coarse. That would be the comedy answer in a Christmas specialSurely anyone doing that would fail their RYA practical test ? The discussion about the OP's intention is whatifery - his path was blocked intentionally by an overtaking boat. If his intentions were not clear it adds to the gravity of the situation rather than excuses it. Being sneaky is not necessarily bad seamanship but just extremely bad manners. If he had steamed ahead suspecting what OP was doing and dropped his anchor a mile ahead, that would be sneaky but not bad seamanship. What S2 did here was both bad seamanship and extremely bad manners.So I applaud the OP's conduct.
    Exactly so. You explain it so much better than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    I've not read all of this thread. The first time I anchored off Porlock we dragged the anchor, not long later I started using a different technique. While still moving forward I lower the anchor until it's just touching the surface. As the anchor drags it's nose across the seabed it's amazing how much you can feel, even with the chain over a roller. At places like Porlock, Minehead and Combe Martin you can find the sandy spots easily.
    Just do not let the mob at the seahorse trust read that
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

I can understand the OP ‘s ire at the other boat overtaking him and seemingly snaffling the mooring, but without actually witnessing the incident it’s rather difficult to tell if it was a case of bad manners or the other crew not realising fully waht was the intention of th OP.
    However I do feel that boating standards of behaviour do seem to have declined, along with those in the UK in general reflected by the ignorance of people at supermarket checkouts ignoring the checkout operator while the are glued to their mobile phones, Students who think it’s OK to sit around texting when on a visit to an institution, whilst someone is taking time to explain the basics of what the function of a particular area is and gropus of people who decide to hold a ‘great get-together in the supermarket aisles blocking the whole aisle for anyone else, just for starters.
    In the boating world, those who charge at rediculous speeds up to their moorings in crowded harbours and then look amazed when they crash into your boat, or the ‘prat’ in their tender who manages to gouge a line along the hull of your moored boat with their outboard but doesn’t even leave a note with the harbourmaster to apologise and the wasters who thinks they don’t have to weight their floating pick-up lines when everyone else in the harbour does are just a few of the milder examples.

Quote Originally Posted by STILL AFLOAT View Post
    No , what does your response have to do with this thread ?
    I put it on ignore ages ago when it first popped up. I suspect it is a sock puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    I put it on ignore ages ago when it first popped up. I suspect it is a sock puppet.
    Why would you suspect that?

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    we have been carved up in small boats by bigger yachts and mobos on the solent so many times we dont even get wound up about it any more.
    But then again, we now have a kayak, and a copy of Cockleshell Heroes, so we may sneak out with a limpet mine or two of a night Riverhogs beware.
    The Solent is one thing, I was leaving Poole last Saturday... it was calmer through the Portland race!

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    Slight technical issue, GRP. You may have to get your limpets' attachment mechs replaced.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast