Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Circumnavigation - 1978 Broom Ocean 37 "Arthur" - Ireland

Forty year old Broom Ocean 37 "Arthur" skippered by a pal of mine Paul, has been circumnavigating Ireland this summer and is now nearing the end of his epic series of passages. This vessel is normally based on the Inland waterways of Ireland. What is particularly impressive is the passages have all been made at displacement speeds of 7-8kt which required detailed passage planning to fit into short weather windows, especially on the North and NW Atlantic coastline.

"Arthur" is due to arrive in Rossaveal in the next few hours having cruised anti-clockwise around the Irish coast since July. Only two more passage legs remaining to return Inland to Lough Derg on the River Shannon navigation.

Skipper Paul has posted updates on his facebook blog. Link below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Trav...?ref=bookmarks

Status as it was back on August 8th when Arthur arrived at Killybegs to wait out Atlantic weather systems.

Its an epic achievement at displacement speeds.
    Ocean Froggie

Default Re: Circumnavigation - 1978 Broom Ocean 37 "Arthur" - Ireland

Excellent, would be interested in a write up from them. Either here or in the Broom owners club magazine if they are members.

Quote Originally Posted by mersey View Post
    Excellent, would be interested in a write up from them. Either here or in the Broom owners club magazine if they are members.
    I will pass it on. They arrived in Rossaveal this afternoon after a challenging six hour passage through an autumnal Atlantic swell.
    Ocean Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by mersey View Post
    Hear hear!
    I suspect the BOC would be very interested as it is an epic trip.
    Broom owners club..... www.broomowners.com

Well done to them!
    Our second boat was an Ocean 37 - could cruise at circa 12 knots comfortably with the Perkins HT6354s. Any reason they stuck to displacement speeds? Economy perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Well done to them!
    Our second boat was an Ocean 37 - could cruise at circa 12 knots comfortably with the Perkins HT6354s. Any reason they stuck to displacement speeds? Economy perhaps?
    Hi Greg

I suspect 8kt is a self imposed limited due to the 40 year old engines. Over the years two Irish based Ocean 37s were lost at sea due to boat fires that were attributed to the same model of Perkins. In both cases ruptured lines spewing oil onto hot turbo was suspected as the cause. We were at the scene in the 2005 incident and this year unfortunately an acquaintance had a similar loss in July.

In both cases the crews were saved, 2005 without injury, this year one crew member had year minor burns as the fire spread so rapidly and they had to literally jump into the water to escape. A local fishing vessel picked them up. Arthur's crew would have know both skippers so were probably wise not to over stress the old Perkins with the benefit of experience and hence limit RPM to displacement speeds.

Noel

"Arthur" arrived safely in Rossaveal yesterday after a challenging passage before the next wave of Atlantic systems comes in. Only one passage leg remaining down to Loop Head to complete the circumnavigation when the next spell of good weather occurs.

Brooms really are built like bricks and can cruise anywhere. It is particularly impressive that this epic trip was made at only 7-8kts requiring long passages that had to fit into available daylight hours and weather windows.

Anybody interested in Paul's photo and video blog click on the FaceBook group link on the 1st post.

Ocean Froggie

Paul's Facebook blog is very interesting with his short videos.

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirit View Post
    Paul's Facebook blog is very interesting with his short videos.
    Paul’s FaceBook group for his cruise blog:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Trav...?ref=bookmarks
    Ocean Froggie

Ah, that makes sense Noel. I remember the first incident - I think the owners replaced it with an Ocean 37 that was for sale with Norfolk Yacht Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Ah, that makes sense Noel. I remember the first incident - I think the owners replaced it with an Ocean 37 that was for sale with Norfolk Yacht Agency
    They did indeed and a very nice specimen "Norfolk Lady" was. I still get the heebeegeebees thinking about that incident. Luckily nothing went wrong during the rescue attempt.
    Ocean Froggie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast