Thread: Plymuff

Default Plymuff

Thinking of taking a break from West Wales next year and locating boat in Plymouth.
    Any recommendations on which marina, places to go, things to see/do etc?

Default Re: Plymuff

Mayfair is our favoured marina in Plymouth, privately run and really friendly.
    You have good access into town, there’s a decent amount of restaurants very near by and a good on site restaurant.
    QAB and Sutton are in the centre of things but can be a touch noisy and dare I say it, rough....

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    Mayfair is our favoured marina in Plymouth, privately run and really friendly.
    You have good access into town, there’s a decent amount of restaurants very near by and a good on site restaurant.
    QAB and Sutton are in the centre of things but can be a touch noisy and dare I say it, rough....
    Mayflower, (good old predictive text!) is in a lovely location, but quite remote from the centre of Plymouth, and the currents there can be difficult. My personal favourite location is Sutton Harbour, but I would suggest negotiating a deal as I understand that many berth holders have left due to dissatisfaction with the management.

Interesting place, Plymouth, a good sheltered base from which to explore the West Country, and loads of marinas to sample. My bad experience of QAB (2 yrs) is that despite, or maybe because of, my MDL freedom berthing pass, they like turning mobos away, on the pretext that "we are a destination marina", whatever the f that means . Confirmed later by Mount Batten just a 5 min ferry away. Next door, Sutton Harbour is locked and very close to the town centre but can be noisy from latenight shoreside drinkers esp at weekends. King Point is quiet by comparison but slightly out of it, so a 10 min walk to resupply. It's also used as a boatpark for part finished Princesses so is interesting to walk round and inspect. Then there's the Hoe, and the lighthouse (Smeaton's Tower), climb to the top and have a good look over the Sound. There's a lot more but you would think I was being sponsored by the Plymouth tourist board. (I'm not.)

I am at mayflower and we love it .Even on the inside pontoons it can be a bit rolly not helped by the ferry going past every half an hour, so we all have the rubber shock absorbers on mooring lines.But they have a number of dingy berths in royal William yard all Mayflower berth holders can use, which is fun.
    Personally because I'm such a child I like seeing the war ships and submarines going right past us plus all the big new Princess boats. They often let us go on board and look round some of the new yachts being finished off on the outside pontoons. Fowey and Falmouth to the west Salcombe and Dartmouth to the east all great places to visit. Jolly Jacks restaurant at Mayflower and ' the Dock' at King Point marina are both excellent.
    Last edited by timv; 13-09-18 at 00:06.

Thanks guys.... going down next w/e to take a look at the various options.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigelpickin View Post
    I'm in QAB, it's neither noisy or rough (whatever that means) We've been here 6 years. So many shops, pubs restaurants within walking distance and only 15 minutes off the A38 which is a big plus for us. If you're here on Saturday give me a shout.

I moved the boat to Plymouth this summer and love it.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by tico View Post
    Thinking of taking a break from West Wales next year and locating boat in Plymouth.
    Any recommendations on which marina, places to go, things to see/do etc?
    You may find this recent thread helpful. http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...light=Plymouth