Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Default Re: Yachtmaster offshore Practical (Sail) any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    He was aboard for two nights and we effectively did three days under examination.!
    Three days under exam!! How long is the exam currently?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Congratulations, I take my hat of to anyone who achieves the YM its quite an achievement. A pity the experience was tarnished by the examiners manner.

I did not get the impression from the OP the test was unfair.
    I got the impression the examiner was rude, crass, swore a lot and made disparaging comments about the boat to the candidate and crew. If the OP is annoyed enough to complain here then passing his comments to the sailing school and the RYA would seam appropriate. Exactly what the OP regarded as rude or crass, who knows.
    The issue appears to be behavior not competence. Both organisations would probably like to know, There is of course two sides to every story. They can look in to the other side.

The rest of use can relax and be sure to bring lots of pies to the exam, If the examiner eats all the pies, we pass

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    I really don't see the problem. I took and passed my YM in 1996 or thereabouts from Oban in Febuary. The examiner (now deceased) so not named but notorious for his irascibility was an obnoxious sod. Nonetheless, he put me and my partner candidate through a very thorough exam over a whole weekend. He was aboard for two nights and we effectively did three days under examination. I always thought that his challenging demeanour was part of the exam.
    If you are unhappy with the level of examination complain but if you are expecting a trip with the boys just get on with it!
    Irascibility and obnoxious, I had a few teachers who fit the description
    Might have been traditional once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by obmij View Post
    For whatever reason MOB under sail is rarely, if ever examined -
    Not true. A large proportion of the time, the examiner is likely to tell the candidate that the engine has just failed to start. To the point that candidates sometimes gut flustered when one allows them to use the engine. They've practiced MOB under sail so much that they expect that's how its going to be examined!
    Semper aliud

For an RYA YM assessment do I need to be concerned about the following...?
    I removed the log impeller from the hull in my boat last year and glassed over the hole, as the head unit / display stopped working.

In my ship's log I usually record SOG and distance to waypoint from the GPS.
    Obviously I am "missing" distance logged through the water.

As a backup for GPS failure I do have a Walker patent towed log. If in doubt I may need to refit the log impeller and get a new head unit?

It’s 40 years since I did mine, but I think the advice I was given at the time still stands, expect the unexpected, adopt the scouts motto Be Prepared, think things through cos ‘if it can go wrong it will’ and adopt the motto of the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy ‘Don’t Panic’.
    Best of luck it’s a great feeling when the examiner finally says that he/she believes that you have reached the degree of competence to be awarded a Yachmaster Certificate.
    Last edited by Praxinoscope; 21-05-19 at 14:44.

thank you.
    If it is normal for a candidate to be sent below to navigate without GPS, pretending that the boat is in fog, with only the depthsounder, compass & log allowed, then I think I'd probably refit the impeller & get a working display for it.
    Or get some practice in with the Walker log ...

Quote Originally Posted by sailswim View Post
    thank you.
    If it is normal for a candidate to be sent below to navigate without GPS, pretending that the boat is in fog, with only the depthsounder, compass & log allowed, then I think I'd probably refit the impeller & get a working display for it.
    Or get some practice in with the Walker log ...
    Why on earth would you want to do that?

Time * speed = distance.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Why on earth would you want to do that?

Time * speed = distance.
    And how do you know how fast you are going?
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    And how do you know how fast you are going?
    If heisenberg is to be believed, the less you know about that, probably the better

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast