Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Yachtmaster offshore Practical (Sail) any tips?

There are many finesses and debatable points surrounding skippering / passage making, but for your purposes here I propose two key negatives, transgression of which is almost bound to result in a test fail: at no time do you put your vessel in avoidable danger, and, at no time do you neglect the safety and well being of the crew.

Good luck,

PWG

It's been a while but I did pass

I also thought people may search this and wonder like I did... so here's my experience and key take outs, not everything but the points where I guess he was most certainly seeing how I reacted to requests.

- before leaving the marina was requested to anchor in a questionable location (the chart showed it was a silly place to anchor, poor holding & rocks, edge of a channel however this wasn't the answer he was after so he continued to say "I want you to anchor there"), the wind direction was also unsuitable for said anchorage, This was the answer he wanted and he then asked me to recommend somewhere better suited to the conditions.

- examiner took his lifejacket off, so I requested he put one on, he was playing the fool asking why he needed one too.

- sailing along I was asked to helm and change tack, Gybe, broad reach / beam reach etc for a while, then do a figure of 8 which I imagine was an assessment to see if the engine worked or not during the next task.... Someone fell overboard, not straight away but yeah... retrieved under engine successfully. (he also stole one of my crew to "simulate the radio Mayday") which left me and one crew to manage the boat, my crew did me proud though and it was a text book retrieval.

- about an hour later on he fell in again and I was asked to fetch him by myself under sail as a rope was around the prop "just for fun", it was explained later that he just wanted to see if I achieved it and wasn't expecting a recovery, something about teaching a lesson about short hand sailing. a rather harsh game to play IMO but I handed the fender back to the examiner in any case, I just found the whole thing bizarre, but having sailed a lot on my own I handled it well, drifting onto the fender with another text book recovery, I guess its a watch out for those who struggle SH (although my understanding of the exam is you have 2 crew! - he also stated in the de-brief it had zero impact on my exam and was just an "exercise" anyone else had this?? when I spoke to my exam prep instructor afterwards he said it was a first!)

- night sailing, simple stuff really, pointing out vessels asking "what's that" "if it were a X what lights would it have?" kinda things, the fog then came in, took a fix from the buoy I was next to then was asked for a CTS to a particular point on the chart, CTS promptly given along with distance and ETA to which he responded "no need to stay below the fogs gone" (which I was glad for because with 30knts wind over tide I would have probably threw up)

Fun fact;
    14 chocolate biscuits and 4 cups of tea were consumed by said examiner and he ate a whole pack of mini pork pies much to the disappointment of the crew.

The obvious things you need to know are not worth repeating, but here's the ones which may catch you out (especially on a school boat for example).

- toolkit location and contents
    - Location of all through fittings, including log . sounder etc
    - if there's an engine fire which melted the sea cock hose making it open, how would you seal it without opening the compartment. (interesting question!)
    - wooden bungs where are they
    - how do you use a fire extinguisher
    - some First Aid questions, what to do if the patient were in shock etc,

i will say I was expecting my examiner to be approachable and professional, unfortunately he was quite Rude, Crass, swore a lot, He moaned about the boat constantly (it was coded and provided by a very reputable school and in excellent order) the moaning was more orientated around its manufacturer and unseaworthiness tbh but still...., the torch onboard was crap, the toolkit was crap, the first aid kit was crap, the danbouy was crap, the horseshoe was crap, the flares were crap, tea was crap, biscuits were crap even though he ate them all!

so yeah disappointing experience tbh - if I didn't want to pass I would have thrown him overboard myself, I'm sure nice examiners exist, but unfortunately I didn't get one - just smile, nod and carry on though!

Itís about 40 years since I did mine, but as long as you are confident that you can handle the boat and answer the questions I think there are only two things I can advise, 1. Think ahead, if something can happen it will so adopt the Boy Scouts motto ĎBe Preparedí. ...2. Remember the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy ĎDonít Panicí.
    You have the sea miles under your belt and you have done the theory so Good Luck.

14 biscuits and mini pork pies! It's a wonder you passed. Mine got a 3 course meal with choice of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    14 biscuits and mini pork pies! It's a wonder you passed. Mine got a 3 course meal with choice of wine.
    That was on top of dinner!

[QUOTE=- if there's an engine fire which melted the sea cock hose making it open, how would you seal it without opening the compartment. (interesting question!)
    [/QUOTE]

How do you achieve this?

Quote Originally Posted by gilesfordcrush View Post
    How do you achieve this?
    sail wrapped around the hull was the first thing I thought of.

Id put the fire out first or if that was not possible I think the leak would be the least of my worries.

If you're doing a week on board, followed by an exam, go first when you're likely to be fresher. Don't ask me how I know.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Do you know where the test will take place? If so, study the chart of the area and see if you can spot and plan for any "interesting" bits. My test was in the Solent and "take the shortest route back to Gosport" involved the sub barrier gap.

Switching the engine off leaving Chichester, gave me a chance to demonstrate drudging (with a Sea Cadet crew who performed admirably). He had never seen that and was suitably impressed.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast