Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Default Re: Yachtmaster offshore Practical (Sail) any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Drudging was used in the Bristol Channel with dumb barges and probably did not use an anchor but a weight. The weight is less likely to snag than an anchor. On the spur of the moment, I used the anchor (which was a fisherman's I think) with strict instructions to the crew to just let it touch and drag.

For those who know the Bristol Channel, the necessity to steer is rather important! There is (was) the remains of one barge on the bank upstream of Charston Rock where it went wrong. With around 5 knots of tide, they could probably still make impressive progress with the tide as little differential is needed to provide steerage way.

I don't think I would like to enter Sharpness Dock using the technique!
    I think you’d have to get close enough to heave a line and then it’s hands to the windlass and warp the boat in. The cross tides at Sharpness are brisk (I'm not claiming I know it really well but I’ve been in and out a few times).
    Last edited by john_morris_uk; 02-11-18 at 21:37.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    I’ve been in touch with the OP by PM and suggested he write to the RYA...
    Not sure why - sounds like he was set a fair & reasonable test, which he passed (congratulations to Cactus Sailing btw).

Are there any guidelines set by the RYA as to the opinions an examiner can or cannot express? It's a long exam and it must be pretty tough just standing at the back for 18 odd hours. I ending up chatting about pretty much everything other than the exam with mine - although there were times when it was clear I was being watched / examined, most of the time we were just sailing along, having a bit of a craic, and I also learned a fair bit too!

Also - the MOB under sail. It's my understanding that during any kind of prep course, candidates will be drilled in MOB techniques under sail - but then it isn't assessed during the exam. I assume this is all RYA policy, or sailing schools wouldn't bother with it?

Quote Originally Posted by obmij View Post
    Not sure why - sounds like he was set a fair & reasonable test, which he passed (congratulations to Cactus Sailing btw).

Are there any guidelines set by the RYA as to the opinions an examiner can or cannot express? It's a long exam and it must be pretty tough just standing at the back for 18 odd hours. I ending up chatting about pretty much everything other than the exam with mine - although there were times when it was clear I was being watched / examined, most of the time we were just sailing along, having a bit of a craic, and I also learned a fair bit too!

Also - the MOB under sail. It's my understanding that during any kind of prep course, candidates will be drilled in MOB techniques under sail - but then it isn't assessed during the exam. I assume this is all RYA policy, or sailing schools wouldn't bother with it?
    There are definite guidelines as to what you should and shouldn’t do during an exam along with guidelines about scenarios you give the candidate and how you shouldn’t distract them from the task in hand.

A MOB is compulsory. It doesn’t have to be under sail but if it is done under sail it tells you lots about a candidates crew control and wind awareness and sailing ability.
    Semper aliud

I think you’d have to get close enough to heave a line and then it’s hands to the windlass and warp the boat in. The cross tides at Sharpness are brisk (I'm not claiming I know it really well but I’ve been in and out a few times).
    Without engine and a failing offshore wind I failed to enter. I guess I was only about 20 feet off. (Those walls are a bit high for heaving a line!).

I dropped the hook, called in and said I'd wait for the ebb. My suggestion was declined and Sara put out their inflatable. The anchor chain was like a bar of steel!

Very embarrassing especially in the middle of Sunday lunch!
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by obmij View Post
    Not sure why - sounds like he was set a fair & reasonable test, which he passed (congratulations to Cactus Sailing btw)......

Indeed. He sounds much better than a box ticking, jobsworth which is what you get in the, politicaly correct, end.

If we cashiered all the miserable sods we would have no forum. If there is a complaint in this case, maybe Cactus will win himself a re-test

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Indeed. He sounds much better than a box ticking, jobsworth which is what you get in the, politicaly correct, end.

If we cashiered all the miserable sods we would have no forum. If there is a complaint in this case, maybe Cactus will win himself a re-test
    I’ve no idea what you mean by box ticking jobsworth’s in this context and my comments regarding conducting practical exams at sea.

If you think eating all the pork pies and annoying the crew and setting practical tasks but telling the candidate that it’s not going to count as part of the assessment is acting professionally and not wasting time that could be better spent checking out some other part of the syllabus, then we will have to agree to differ.

Cactus doesn’t need a retest as he passed.
    Semper aliud

Cactus doesn’t need a retest as he passed.
    Maybe he'd like a re-test from an examiner he has respect for? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Maybe he'd like a re-test from an examiner he has respect for? :-)

Yep, that was indeed my point. - )

Obviously different readings of a report.

It looked to me like he had a good examiner

For whatever reason MOB under sail is rarely, if ever examined - but as you point out John it's a good test of basic sailing ability and wind awareness, so why not ask a candidate to complete the exercise to get a general picture of their core skills? I'm guessing that there may well be an instruction not to fail anyone who cannot complete the task but it is still a decent assessment.

I liked the fact the blind nav exercise was cut short once the candidates competence was evident, given the poor conditions.

Porkpiegate...you've got to be pretty hungry to smash a whole packet of pork pies. Was pickle provided?

Fair winds
    Last edited by obmij; 03-11-18 at 21:27.

I really don't see the problem. I took and passed my YM in 1996 or thereabouts from Oban in Febuary. The examiner (now deceased) so not named but notorious for his irascibility was an obnoxious sod. Nonetheless, he put me and my partner candidate through a very thorough exam over a whole weekend. He was aboard for two nights and we effectively did three days under examination. I always thought that his challenging demeanour was part of the exam.
    If you are unhappy with the level of examination complain but if you are expecting a trip with the boys just get on with it!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast