Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: robbery on anchor at galatas (poros), greece

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Thanks, sounds a good idea.

As I understand it, your FaceBook account is an alias (fake account)❓

Following recent hacks, I believe FaceBook has taken down numerous ‘fake accounts’. Has your’s survived❓
    You can create a facebook account with a temp email address like from https://temp-mail.org/en/option/refresh/
    No personal details linking you whatsoever. Just did it to check, took a couple minutes. Then kill the email address, just remember the password

Sometimes they seem to have a check but if you keep quiet then should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Thanks, sounds a good idea.

As I understand it, your FaceBook account is an alias (fake account)❓

Following recent hacks, I believe FaceBook has taken down numerous ‘fake accounts’. Has your’s survived❓
    I logged on to check and it still seems to be fine. I doubt they'd be able to tell that details aren't correct very easily as I'm not exactly using it regularly. I don't let these accounts die but not a big job to re-create as GHA states.

I tend to use this type of thing when I don't want to be pestered with spam or need to get around some nuisance features. I have a few for a free private torrent site which lets me get access to F1 during the summer. It has a download/upload ratio limit which is a problem for occasional use in summer away from home broadband. I rotate accounts (+ one very good other trick) as a workaround. I do use genuine details for more important online accounts but even these get minimum information to make them workable.

A bit of thread drift into online security (sort of).

I spoke to my German neighbour yesterday and he hasn't reported his loss of 600 euro online. I guess that confirms at least 3 different boat thefts in a short space of time within a few hundred metres.
    Last edited by Mistroma; 12-10-18 at 13:40.

I had a FB account with the name of my old boat , once we sold the boat I change the name and got my FB account which I held for 10 years block , they said unless I sent them ID in a drive in lic , passport and also a house hold bill they wouldn't in block it , so ended up having to open a new account .
    All I suggested is don't do anything to get them to ask you for ID , although you could do as I did and just open a new account .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234