Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nieuwpoort

Default Nieuwpoort

Armchair planning a trip soon and noticed the above. Anybody got views, impressions, tips?

Default Re: Nieuwpoort

The marinas there are huge but they are very well organised with great staff. We stayed at VYNieuwpoort (the middle one), food was excellent, make sure you are hungry when you go-big portions. In addition bike use was free for 2hrs each on all the days you are there. The old town itself we found rather dull and the apartment blocks along the coast are a bit, ummm how can I put this, horrible. Mile after mile of concrete canyon. The Belgians seemed to like then though so they must have some allure. It escaped us Iím afraid. Nice beaches.

PS it does have fuel so it scores that over Oostend
    Pardon?

We often stop at Nieuwpoort when we go to Holland because it's an easy day sail from Ramsgate or Burnham. We usually go into the Airforce Marina, a bit out of town but we like it. The other marinas offer plenty of choice.
    We have been delayed by weather and found plenty of things to keep us amused, such as;
    Coast tram to Ostend and beyond. Stops at Nieuwpoort [1.25km] or Lomardsijde [0.5 km]
    West Front Museum, how they flooded the land to keep the Germans at bay, [walkable]
    Atlantic wall museum at Raversijde [via tram].
    Bits of the old town are nice but the newer beach front blocks have little interest for me.
    The yacht clubs sometimes host dinghy racing events such as Flanders Youth Week. It can get crowded then.

There is at least one great coffee and cake shop in the old town

Ah, cake! Choice of marinas as well. Thanks all

You can get diesel there which you can't at Ostend - at least not when I was last there.
    davidej

A few images

Stayed at VVW a few times now, I really like the place.Great fun exploring the canals with the bikes, decent restaurant and sheltered marina with incredibly helpful staff. Enjoy!

We stayed in the air-force marina a couple of weeks ago. V friendly, good facilities and excellent restaurant in the clubhouse. Nothing not to like. The town isn't as busy or interesting as Oostende but it's quieter in every sense - both the noise level and the lack of swell.
    You pays your money...

Glad to see people enjoy Nieuwpoort. Numbers of U.K. visitors have sadly fallen sharply due to the red diesel shenanigans, but this is probably the best moment to visit before brexit brings back Q flags etc 😎
    I would add troublefree entrance at all states of the tide in all but the worst NW gales, perfectly sheltered marinas, two good chandleries, a very good shipyard for any repairs, welcoming yacht clubs.
    If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm, it has been my homeport for 20 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast