Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nieuwpoort

Default Re: Nieuwpoort

Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    Glad to see people enjoy Nieuwpoort. Numbers of U.K. visitors have sadly fallen sharply due to the red diesel shenanigans, but this is probably the best moment to visit before brexit brings back Q flags etc 😎
    I would add troublefree entrance at all states of the tide in all but the worst NW gales, perfectly sheltered marinas, two good chandleries, a very good shipyard for any repairs, welcoming yacht clubs.
    If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm, it has been my homeport for 20 years.

Whoops sorry, poked wrong button.
    Hmm, forgot about red diesel factor. Not really been following the ins and outs but got impression that all sorted now? Should I carry some receipts or summat?

We've only been visiting over the last two years but as a motorboat, we have a minimum of 500l of red in the tanks every time. We carry all the receipts but have never been boarded or questioned.

Next year - 29 March init. les Belges will have nothing to do with the colour of diesel anymore. Taxation will be a matter for the UK, not the EU. So the genuine Duty Free can come back if the Excise give us an allowance. Always assuming someone can make sense of what the plan will be!
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    Whoops sorry, poked wrong button.
    Hmm, forgot about red diesel factor. Not really been following the ins and outs but got impression that all sorted now? Should I carry some receipts or summat?
    For the time being you will have no problem. The matter has been referred to the European Court of Justice. As long as there is no outcome, Belgian Customs have promised not to take action. A verdict may take a few years.
    If brexit happens, there will be a totally new situation. No one can tell what will happen with red diesel and I can imagine it will be very low on the very long list of matters that will have to be settled.

Thanks for clearing that up,Johan. I did have a look at the thread devoted to this topic but was not much wiser

Quote Originally Posted by davidej View Post
    You can get diesel there which you can't at Ostend - at least not when I was last there.
    And you still can't get diesel anywhere in Ostend harbour (unless you get it in cans from a roadsite fuel station) as I just checked today with the Royal North Sea Yacht Club via email.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    And you still can't get diesel anywhere in Ostend harbour (unless you get it in cans from a roadsite fuel station) as I just checked today with the Royal North Sea Yacht Club via email.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    i have known one Practical crew who hired a 2 man peddle quad bike from the promenade on Oostende & made 2 shortish trips beyond the Delhazie sm to get diesel in cans, the 2nd trip involved ice creams & that required one steering & the other acted as brake man so ice creams could be eaten on the way back
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

The quad bike solution is very Last of the Summer Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddy View Post
    The quad bike solution is very Last of the Summer Wine.
    Your not kidding
    Pardon?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast