Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Passage in Company?

I've done several sails in company with the Clyde branch of the Scuttlebutt forum. As others have said, it's more a case of organizing a common goal for each day's sailing than actually staying together - differing performances and crew capabilities will mean that it's pretty much impossible to stay together while sailing. There may well be photo opportunities; my best photos of Capricious were taken on such an event. There may well be opportunities for photos of a different kind - at least one Scuttlebutt denizen (Spyro!) had photos posted of him recovering his spinnaker from an attempt to go trawling with it! The best bit is usually the meet in the evening at a congenial bar!

On one occasion I was close enough that we passed a cup of tea to my brother while heading towards the initial meeting point - he'd forgotten to fill his water tank! But it was calm, and we were both under motor.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    On one occasion I was close enough that we passed a cup of tea to my brother while heading towards the initial meeting point - he'd forgotten to fill his water tank! But it was calm, and we were both under motor.
    Probably easier said than done. On one occasion we tried to effect a crew change under sail in the Blackwater. Although we were both experienced and had similar boats, Sadler 29 & 32, we found it remarkable difficult, I think achieving it at about the third attempt.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Possibly interested. Depends on what happens on the work front. I should be in a position to make a firm decision early in the New Year, I'd had similar thoughts about heading to the West Country and then ultimately later up to the West Coast of Scotland. Let's stay in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Probably easier said than done. On one occasion we tried to effect a crew change under sail in the Blackwater. Although we were both experienced and had similar boats, Sadler 29 & 32, we found it remarkable difficult, I think achieving it at about the third attempt.
    As you say. The tricky bit, even under engine, was to get the two boats travelling at near enough the same speed through the water. Pete kept his speed constant while I adjusted mine, and I came up from behind so we could pass the tea over from a person stationed at our shrouds to Pete who was at his.

As you say. The tricky bit, even under engine, was to get the two boats travelling at near enough the same speed through the water. Pete kept his speed constant while I adjusted mine, and I came up from behind so we could pass the tea over from a person stationed at our shrouds to Pete who was at his.
    The words Pete and tea in the same sentence might be libellous.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    EVen Pete sometimes needs to dilute the blood in his alcohol stream.

We did similar on a friend's boat years ago, sailing along in calm conditions with a Dutch boat we'd become friends with a few ports previous. We did manage to align our speeds, edge gradually closer together, and pass some biscuits as part of some joke (you had to be there) But none of us have since forgotten the ?Venturi? / ?Bernoulli? / ?WHY? effect (though I have forgotten its name) which pulled us smartly together at the last minute. The other boat (gleaming GRP) got a distinct mark in its topsides gelcoat (we, ungleaming ferro, didn't). We were most embarrassed about it, since it had been our little joke that had led to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    EVen Pete sometimes needs to dilute the blood in his alcohol stream.
    I all fairness I remember a slice of cake being involved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCooper View Post
    I all fairness I remember a slice of cake being involved as well.
    Disn't want you to have to resort to the custom of the sea...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123