Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Passage in Company?

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Clanger View Post
    I'm only just getting to grips with Chartplotters but, even though I have no reason to doubt their reliability, I view them as a back-up. I must be some form of masochist because I enjoy long-hand chartwork. I was hopeless at maths as a schoolboy, but once it was applied to something it all made sense. The tablet I bought recently will be a friendly reassurance though.
    I usually find that if you keep England to your right you usually end up in Cornwall.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I'm planning to take my boat to the West Country in late spring, possibly the Dart but probably Fowey. Anyone care to join me for a cruise in company? Not intending to make it a delivery trip (unless the forecast warrants it), more of a sensible mooch down there stopping a few times on the way. I'll leave the boat down there until August. Might be quite fun to have another boat(s) to mess about with on the passage.
    I have just registered to participate in the 2019 Jester Baltimore Challenge. This means that I will be heading that way with a view to get to Plymouth before the start on June 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I usually find that if you keep England to your right you usually end up in Cornwall.
    Ah, but how will I know when to stop? I might overshoot and find myself in Wales.. Scotland, or even back where I bloody started!

Quote Originally Posted by Gitane View Post
    I have just registered to participate in the 2019 Jester Baltimore Challenge. This means that I will be heading that way with a view to get to Plymouth before the start on June 9th.
    That might be quite fun but I suspect you'll be cracking on at more than my STW average of 4.25kts. Where is the Jester going to next year?
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

That might be quite fun but I suspect you'll be cracking on at more than my STW average of 4.25kts. Where is the Jester going to next year?
    It’s going from Plymouth to Baltimore in Ireland.

My current thinking is to combine this event with an attempt to try to sail round the U.K., starting and finishing in Essex and going around clockwise. The idea being to start out from Essex in mid May, do the Jester in early June and backtrack a little to carry on going around after this.

Date of JBC19 has changed to 16 June as I understand, to get there for the Pirate weekend on the following weekend.
    John Apps

My "observation" from organising cruising in company in the past is that such events are misnamed... They are actually a rally, since you only get together at stopping points. You can get close arrivals, but you will often not see much of others en route...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by Glayva View Post
    Date of JBC19 has changed to 16 June as I understand, to get there for the Pirate weekend on the following weekend.
    Ah thanks. That saves me from turning up a week early.

Ah thanks. That saves me from turning up a week early.
    Sail down with me; no chance of being early then!
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    My "observation" from organising cruising in company in the past is that such events are misnamed... They are actually a rally, since you only get together at stopping points. You can get close arrivals, but you will often not see much of others en route...
    That is how it should be, or at least, how people should expect it, and each skipper should be totally responsible for that boat. A sail in company should be regarded as a bonus and a chance to take photos of each other, but not something to be relied on. I have done rallies with anything from two to twenty boats and have had all sorts of experiences. On a couple of occasions I have been in a position to lead a friend's boat with my radar in fog but otherwise company is social rather than nautical. I think two to five is plenty for a cruise in company. The last big rally we did with twenty-odd broke into cliques.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    That is how it should be, or at least, how people should expect it, and each skipper should be totally responsible for that boat. A sail in company should be regarded as a bonus and a chance to take photos of each other, but not something to be relied on. I have done rallies with anything from two to twenty boats and have had all sorts of experiences. On a couple of occasions I have been in a position to lead a friend's boat with my radar in fog but otherwise company is social rather than nautical. I think two to five is plenty for a cruise in company. The last big rally we did with twenty-odd broke into cliques.
    Your description says exactly what I meant to say but was too idle to type in full! We've done 10-13 boats, and so long as people realise there's never going to be a single social event (other than maybe a pontoon party) for everyone, it isn't an issue
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast