Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Default Re: Looking for sheltered estuary setting in the East

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    How many 'crazy' speed boats are there?
    I have never had any serious problems with motorboats of any sort, though I'm a fairly easy going sort who doesn't get too bothered by a bit of wash.

The bigger boats, from Fambridge, Essex Marina and Burnham Yacht Harbour, are generally very considerate, and stick to the main channel and speed limits.

Waterskiers, jetskis, etc also generally stick to speed limits, and play in the appropriate areas shown on the chart.

So, in my experience, we generally all get along pretty well.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Another feature of the Crouch is once you leave the river it's another 10 miles or so before you can turn left or right unless you take the Ray Sand channel at HW

Hi again,

I don't know about well run, in my experience the less people try to "run" things, the better people get along with each other. But yes, in general we do all get along fine most of the time. Occasionally one of us yotties has a go about the "Romford Navy" and no doubt the mobo people have a moan about fleets of yachts or dinghies zig zagging about the place. However (touching wood) we don't seem to suffer from lunatic acts by speedboat and jet ski drivers that I have occasionally seen and more often heard of on the Blackwater and Colne.

Good luck with your boat buying - it's probably worth seeing a few before you make your mind up. While your around the Crouch, it's probably worth taking a look at the clubs - they can be very helpful with finding moorings, learning the skills and cruising in company can add to the interest. There are many to choose from:

South Woodham Ferrers Yacht Club: http://www.swfyc.com/
    North Fambridge Yacht Club: http://www.nfyachtclub.co.uk/index.html
    Burnham Sailing Club: http://s521131730.websitehome.co.uk/
    Royal Burnham Yacht Club: https://rbyc.uk/
    Royal Corinthian Yacht Club https://royalcorinthian.co.uk/

Any one is quite enough, and it's best to join a club near where you base your boat. Don't let the Royal titles put you off the last 2 (although the annual subscriptions might) they are very welcoming. If you join one of the upriver clubs, you can always sign in to any of the Burnham clubs as a guest off the water when you sail to Burnham and sample their wares. I'm sure any of these clubs would welcome a visit from a potential new member.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    Another feature of the Crouch is once you leave the river it's another 10 miles or so before you can turn left or right unless you take the Ray Sand channel at HW
    While that's true, it hardly matters to someone who has declared that he wishes to remain in the estuary and not go to sea. I'm afraid the Crouch feels like a ditch all the way to Swin Spitway.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry View Post
    I understand that none of the Cambridge University's were ever Polytechnics, if that helps at all
    One of Cambridge's Universities was a Polytechnic though.

"Over the years, a number of colleges and institutes have become part of Anglia Ruskin. They include the Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology (CCAT) and the Essex Institute of Higher Education (formerly the Chelmer Institute – itself formed from the Mid-Essex Technical College and the Brentwood College of Education). At first, these colleges combined to become Anglia Polytechnic, and then Anglia Polytechnic University in 1992. We’ve been known as Anglia Ruskin University since 2005."

I suggest that you go to Stone sailing club ( has all the usual amenities)& look at St Lawrence Bay. Great for the kids. ( we have 40 cadets) Deep water moorings,( £120-00 PA) plenty of water & places to sail. Some of our members think Bradwell power station is like the moon--- They have never seen the other side ---,why? because they do not have to!!!. Have a drive there then look at the river towards Osea etc. Great for learning & when you have more experience you can go to West Mersea & even Brightlingsea. if windy weather you can head towards Maldon etc. More room than on the Crouch & not so tide dependent but like most rivers it can be a problem. If you want electric conectivity then you need a marina & I suggest an enquiry to Bradwell marina. You do not have to turn right & go to sea but the option is there if you want it.. Much easier to get to sea than at Burnham, where navigating the Swallowtail can be a nightmare & the narrow width of river & extensive moorings can be daunting, as can parts of the Orwell etc
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 13-10-18 at 18:36.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Thanks!
    I was today in Marconi, plenty of water there. However, I was talking with someone (not in Marconi) that sometimes wind over tide makes sailing in Blackwater quite harsh. Is it like this often?

Thanks!
    I was today in Marconi, plenty of water there. However, I was talking with someone (not in Marconi) that sometimes wind over tide makes sailing in Blackwater quite harsh. Is it like this often?
    Yes. I have a vivid memory of sailing in company with a friend in a Sadler 32 and watching his hull disappear below the waves just off Bradwell. Up to Stone gets a bit easier but beware the "Stone blow", and even the 'Osea blow' where the tide runs a bit faster.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Thanks!
    Wind over tide will be lumpy, anywhere its the nature of the beast

Thanks!
    Dinghies sail the area because it is so good. To be honest if one is unsure about sailing such a mild area as the Blackwater then I wonder if one should be sailing without a lot more instruction first. It does not get rough unless the wind is up in the 20+ kts & even then, unless one is out in the Wallet at sea, waves are not any bigger than I have seen on some inland waters.. Tide can be a bit strong between Osea & Marconi for an hour or so & pick up a chop at certain tide / wind conditions but one just stays away from that area for a while until the tide eases. Off Stone it is much flatter. Never heard of the " Stone Blow" & I live there & sailed dinghies there for the last 61 years.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 14-10-18 at 07:10.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast