Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Default Re: Looking for sheltered estuary setting in the East

Newbie here.Sorry haven't read the whole thread.We keep our boat at Wells-next-the-sea.North Norfolk coast,which may be closer than the Essex/Suffok rivers, depending where you are based in Cambs,but not an estuary.
    Last edited by Sailerbailer; 14-10-18 at 15:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    To be honest if one is unsure about sailing such a mild area as the Blackwater then I wonder if one should be sailing without a lot more instruction first
    Well, I would never refuse instruction from any experienced sailor.
    However, I asked this question because I heard opinion that Blackwater can be more often harsh than other waters I am researching right now: Orwell, Stour, and Crouch. So thats why I am asking here.
    And yes, seeing all dinghies in Marconi is rather assuring that its mild water and I just started thinking about joining this or Stone just to sail laser.

15 dinghies out at Stone today. Marconi (I think it was them) had several cruisers racing & quite a few dinghies racing as well.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Hi, could you tell me if keeping lifting keel boat in dry mooring in club like Marconi or Stone would be fine ie do they accept lifting keels on their moorings? Some people are saying lifting keels can be tricky on moorings hence the question. And cruising racing sounds nice, is it easy to crew for them when you are club member?

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    Hi, could you tell me if keeping lifting keel boat in dry mooring in club like Marconi or Stone would be fine ie do they accept lifting keels on their moorings? Some people are saying lifting keels can be tricky on moorings hence the question. And cruising racing sounds nice, is it easy to crew for them when you are club member?
    The Troll 35 is a very nice lift keel yacht, Im surprised no previous contributors have mention the Class
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

It depends on how much keel sticks out of the bottom of your boat, how soft the mud is and how much the boat heels when it is dried out. Seajet keeps his Anderson 22 on a drying mooring and they have a substantial bulb on the bottom of the keel but I believe it is on soft mud.
    Marconi is developing its cruiser racing, in fact it just won the RYA Club of the Year, innovation category for it. The club now owns several boats that members race and they also go off round the country racing in keelboat events. Once you join you can take part.
    Both Stone and Marconi are well placed for a sail up or down the river in a cruiser, depending on the tide. It can get a bit lumpy at times but it is then a bit windy and you probably wouldn’t want to be out in it anyway!
    At sometime you are going to have to bite the bullet and go for it. If you join a club and don’t like it then you can leave and go somewhere else next season! If you have any questions about Marconi, pm me.

Edit. I just realised that I didn’t answer your question. Yes, Marconi accepts lift keel boats.
    Last edited by Tam Lin; 17-10-18 at 19:37.
    He said, "All men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them."

You will not dry out on a mooring at Stone. However, if you roll over when you dry out you will need a launching trailer to come ashore. If you sit upright & we can get strops under the hull then we can probably lift you off the ground & carry you on to the hard with our gantry. That is subject to it fitting between the uprights of course. We currently have a Jeneau with a lift keel (well we would if he could find it !!!!!) but because of the stub it has to sit on a trailer.
    The winter option, which I think is better, is to winter the boat at Bradwell marina, on their hard. Not really that expensive and so much more civilised.

At Stone we are well known for our own micro climate. We can sit on the club bridge & watch rain come from the south west, cross the river northwards at Marconi,or slightly west over Osea island, travel down the other side of the river & off to Mersea. So we do get slightly less bad weather than those to the west.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 18-10-18 at 06:39.

The best thing about Stone is that it does not get very rough unless it is very windy over tide.
    In spite of comments waves do not actually get above 750mm that often, apart from the odd patch.That does not even come to deck level on many small boats. So when descriptions of "lumpy" are stated I am not sure what people's idea of "lumpy" really is.
    Even if one goes out into the Wallet the waves are not really much above 1 metre unless it is quite windy. People exaggerate the size a lot.

So what is "lumpy" & what do people think is too rough? Surely the real deciding factor is wind strength. It can be just as awkward sailing up the Orwell with swirling wind & sand banks nearby than at sea with a more steady wind. Is it just a case of perception of safety?
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 18-10-18 at 06:49.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910