Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Looking for sheltered estuary setting in the East

Your post suggests you're new to this - did you inherit the 32 footer or are you planning to take a course / learn at a club etc? If really clueless as you say - I'd go for one of the more sheltered marinas without a lock and where you can sail without running into commercial shipping etc - so Blackwater, Deben, Ore; rather than Harwich Harbour / Orwell.

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

The snag with the Deben and Ore is they are both relatively narrow rivers - and in the Deben's case with extensive moorings for much of its length - and the entrances are quite challenging.
    Substance over style

I live near Ely, and berth at Titchmarsh. I did a careful analysis of travel time to various marinas before settling on Titchmarsh, and determined that the distance from home to any of the marinas between Fambridge and the Deben did not vary very much - Ipswich is the closest, by a significant amount, but there's a large cluster at distances around 80-85 miles from my home; closer from Cambridge. Given that berthing at Ipswich is at least 20% dearer than at Titchmarsh (and there are many cheaper options) it became a no-brainer! Hamford Water probably fits your requirement for sheltered estuary sailing, and of course, Arthur Ransome made if famous as the location of "Secret Water"!

As others have implied, the status of the A14 is the biggest issue for all transport from Camridge or thereabouts to any of the marinas mentioned. South of the Orwell, there can be rush hour delays around Colchester.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    As others have implied, the status of the A14 is the biggest issue for all transport from Camridge or thereabouts to any of the marinas mentioned. South of the Orwell, there can be rush hour delays around Colchester.
    Worse still, they appear to need two years to redo the roundabouts on Cowdray Avenue and St Andrew's Avenue that would take you from the west to the Clacton road and traffic can be bad at any time.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Worse still, they appear to need two years to redo the roundabouts on Cowdray Avenue and St Andrew's Avenue that would take you from the west to the Clacton road and traffic can be bad at any time.
    Easily avoided... You don't need to go anywhere near that lot to get to Walton from the A14/A12...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

You're spoilt for choice. My advice would be to buy a copy of East Coast Rivers - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/East-Coas...EAAOSw0VZbpDCu - and explore a bit before making a choice. The east coast can provide superb winter sailing.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Hello everyone, many thanks for your replies - we really didn’t expect that many, smashing! So, we now have lots of ideas of possible berths despite being a bit embarrassed by not having first looked at the pilots suggested. Guess we’ll now get busy visiting the places suggested - after we’ got the pilots. Again, thanks for all your replies.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I have just re-read your first post. I must apologise for not having answered it properly.

I only listed marinas, but you asked for sheltered places with fresh water and showers.

In other words a swinging mooring with a nearby yacht club would also suit you.

Two additional places to look at are Waldringfield on the Deben, with a good yard and a friendly Club (excellent showers as they are a big dinghy club), lovely scenery and easy parking, and (at this point I declare an interest as I am a member!) the Royal Harwich Yacht Club at Woolverstone on the Orwell which has its own moorings and first rate facilities.

Living near Saffron Walden, sailing out of Burnham on Crouch

Quote Originally Posted by ASW11 View Post
    Hello everyone, many thanks for your replies - we really didn’t expect that many, smashing! So, we now have lots of ideas of possible berths despite being a bit embarrassed by not having first looked at the pilots suggested. Guess we’ll now get busy visiting the places suggested - after we’ got the pilots. Again, thanks for all your replies.
    Whereabouts in Cambridgeshire? We're just on the Essex / Cambridge border (near Linton), if you wanted to pop in for a coffee, I have a copy of the ECP and could wax semi-lyrically about the delights of Burnham-on-Crouch... From where I live, driving to BOC is exactly the length of an Archer's Sunday omnibus (on a good day).
    Last edited by kayenox; 27-09-18 at 12:03. Reason: Spellig (sic)

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I have just re-read your first post. I must apologise for not having answered it properly.

I only listed marinas, but you asked for sheltered places with fresh water and showers.

In other words a swinging mooring with a nearby yacht club would also suit you.

Two additional places to look at are Waldringfield on the Deben, with a good yard and a friendly Club (excellent showers as they are a big dinghy club), lovely scenery and easy parking, and (at this point I declare an interest as I am a member!) the Royal Harwich Yacht Club at Woolverstone on the Orwell which has its own moorings and first rate facilities.
    Pin Mill. Swinging moorings only but here is a shower and a fantastic service from Gus, Sarah and the gang.
    Pardon?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast