Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Looking for sheltered estuary setting in the East

Quote Originally Posted by ditchcrawler View Post
    I have been sailing on the east coast for more than 20 years and on the orwell for the last 13 or so. My thoughts would be from the very few times I have been to Woolverstone is that the tide can have quite an effect through there, making mooring fun at times especially for someone less experienced ( I do not know the posters experience by the way). From the published information Woolverstone Marina has historically been more expensive than Foxs, Levington(SYH), Shotley and Ipswich who all seem to be quite close together price wise.
    Worth noting that Woolverstone is part of the MDL chain and that brings some useful benefits with it. Anyone signed up for a full year at any MDL marina automatically gets a significant amount of time at all other MDL marinas.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    Hi,
    this is quite interesting topic for me too. I am looking to buy some small (20-23ft) bilge keel keel yacht. I will most probably share it with family living in Cambridge (I live in London). We are looking for some cheap dry mooring, and I found few clubs near Heybridge that looks friendly. My question is - how good is sailing in Blackwater River past Osea Island on low tide, as it would be our main sailing area - we are not planning for now to do any open sea sailing, as we have not enough experience. I will buy guide you recommended here, however I would like to get some personal opinions too. Thanks.
    Sailing on the Blackwater below Osea Island is excellent at all states of the tide. I learned to sail in a half decked boat kept on a drying mooring in West Mersea.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Sailing on the Blackwater below Osea Island is excellent at all states of the tide. I learned to sail in a half decked boat kept on a drying mooring in West Mersea.
    The Blackwater is a good place to sail, but I wouldn't regard some of it as sheltered, or at least not where I would want to be in the winter. Marconi can be exposed, and even in Mersea it can feel a bit bleak. Bradwell would really be too far for him, and Tollesbury and Maylandsea too tide-constrained.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

+ 1 for Marconi SC
    Westerly Konsort " Rumbar "

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    The Blackwater is a good place to sail, but I wouldn't regard some of it as sheltered, or at least not where I would want to be in the winter. Marconi can be exposed, and even in Mersea it can feel a bit bleak. Bradwell would really be too far for him, and Tollesbury and Maylandsea too tide-constrained.
    Thank you for your answers. I am not planning to sail during winter, rather during good weather - up to F3. I am bit surprised, that Marconi can be exposed - is it during NE winds, or it is just the way it is? I would assume (only based on maps and fact, that most days wind is westerly) that it is relatively calm place.

Thank you for your answers. I am not planning to sail during winter, rather during good weather - up to F3. I am bit surprised, that Marconi can be exposed - is it during NE winds, or it is just the way it is? I would assume (only based on maps and fact, that most days wind is westerly) that it is relatively calm place.
    I think you would need to see it for yourself in moderate conditions to see if it suited you. I always thought it a bit exposed. We had easterlies for weeks at a time this year.

Wind over tide in the Blackwater anywhere from Mersea to top of Osea can be VERY lumpy...
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Wind over tide in the Blackwater anywhere from Mersea to top of Osea can be VERY lumpy...
    Now that takes me back... I was at school (CRGS) with Thomas Mills, whose father owned Blackwater Yacht Charters (the ones with the brightly coloured sails). On one occasion his father had had to collect one of his boats from Holland, where she had been left due to stress of weather, and, on being asked what the passage back to Maldon was like, replied, “All right, apart from getting past Osea!”

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Now that takes me back... I was at school (CRGS) with Thomas Mills, whose father owned Blackwater Yacht Charters (the ones with the brightly coloured sails). On one occasion his father had had to collect one of his boats from Holland, where she had been left due to stress of weather, and, on being asked what the passage back to Maldon was like, replied, “All right, apart from getting past Osea!”
    We used to race against Jack Mills in the '70s. He sailed Contessa, around 26' but unlike the later marque. His charter boats, including Telstar were pretty decrepit and some relatives chartered one once and found it very short of necessary equipment, including anchor tackle. Charley was the jolliest of the family and we were very sorry to hear of his death. We were in Ramsgate when he was doing Ramsgate Week a few years ago. One one rather wild day a crew member went below to get the spinnaker and reported that there was water above the cabin sole. Charley said "Get me a cigar, and get the bloody spinnaker up!".

Thanks again for you answers. I was checking some moorings in Blackwater and it does not look bad.
    And how good is sailing in River Orwell and River Stour? Is there room for sailing on any water level, or rather high tide is recommended?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast