Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

I feel so much better now... not only does ... glue... make an appearance - albeit in a very non-structural way -at 13 minutes in, but at 14:16 I spotted Leo abusing a no. 7 plane, taking diagonal strokes and then using it as a straight edge. That's the sort of thing that I do!

The man is human, after all...

Seriously, cabinet making precision, with hand tools, on timbers that can only be moved with a fork lift.
    Last edited by Minn; 23-02-19 at 20:20.

Just 164 subscribers to go to get him to 100,000.

I bet he never imagined it.

A great update this week, I thought Leo seemed to be very upbeat. Standard of the work is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post

I feel so much better now... not only does ... glue... make an appearance - albeit in a very non-structural way -at 13 minutes in, but at 14:16 I spotted Leo abusing a no. 7 plane, taking diagonal strokes and then using it as a straight edge. That's the sort of thing that I do!

The man is human, after all...

Seriously, cabinet making precision, with hand tools, on timbers that can only be moved with a fork lift.

I see he has gained himself some very expensive Lie-Nielsen planes as well. I thought this tackle was only bought by trophy woodworkers who did not actually use it..
    More seriously, I expect he may have been donated it by well wishers, he certainly deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    I see he has gained himself some very expensive Lie-Nielsen planes as well. I thought this tackle was only bought by trophy woodworkers who did not actually use it..
    More seriously, I expect he may have been donated it by well wishers, he certainly deserves it.
    I said a no.7 but it might be an 8. £472.00

https://www.axminster.co.uk/lie-niel...r-plane-421055

Given the precision of those fits, with US$ 20,000 worth of timber, a Lie-Nielsen plane seems almost a prudent investment!

Love the new trunnel process! Its brilliant to see the application of a century of learning and development of tools and processes applied to an old boat.

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Love the new trunnel process! It’s brilliant to see the application of a century of learning and development of tools and processes applied to an old boat.
    This episode might be called “Enter the Cabinet Maker!” (“You won’t cut your finger off, this way...!)

If all the centre line bolts are going to be bronze, can bronze floors be far behind?

Just watched the last two episodes and wondered a) what is the reason for avoiding glue on the centreline timbers ? and b) what is the purpose of the felt between the sternpost assembly timbers ?

Boo2
    Post contains satire and and may offend nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Boo2 View Post
    Just watched the last two episodes and wondered a) what is the reason for avoiding glue on the centreline timbers ? and b) what is the purpose of the felt between the sternpost assembly timbers ?

Boo2
    From Leo “basically it holds more tar and allows the timber to move more without creating gaps“

Also there was a comment re watching episodes 20 and 28.

PLUS Leo has mentioned that he has “ sort of” sourced an engine from the UK.

Beta??

Sort of can’t help hoping that it’s a lovely old but fully reconditioned Gardner. But probably better off with something small light modern and all that. I wonder what the fully commissioned displacement of the boat will be? What sort of power required? And I’m looking forward to the stern tube boring fun.
    My bet is he will put a comparatively low power engine in. Save space and money, smaller tanks. It’s a sailing boat and he did his transatlantic engineless

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast