Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Brightlingsea, Essex
    Posts
    986

    Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Interesting debate about whether fabricated or cast bronze floors are better.
    Was that in the last (boring ) episode? I don't remember seeing it or falling asleep.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,790

    Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBz View Post
    Was that in the last (boring ) episode? I don't remember seeing it or falling asleep.
    You didn't - it's going on on the associated Facebook page, adduced by Burgundyben in Post 37, above. I think we are perhaps three episodes or six weeks away from decision time on this one, as Leo has to frame out the stern with twelve more live oak double frames, and then rebuild the stem and the apron (more fag paper fits with huge baulks of timber!) and then frame out the bow - another dozen double live oak frames.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colwell Bay
    Posts
    5,671

    Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

    Someone on the facebook discussion mentioned making the patterns for casting by using some plastic material and a hot air gun, to warm the plastic to maker it conform to the shape needed, then let it cool, I thought this was a fab idea, you could add a little shim to allow for shrinkage.

    Remininded me there is such a thing as Foundryman's ruler - its made to a scale larger than true to allow for shrinkage.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland - Lough Derg
    Posts
    405

    Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    You didn't - it's going on on the associated Facebook page, adduced by Burgundyben in Post 37, above. I think we are perhaps three episodes or six weeks away from decision time on this one, as Leo has to frame out the stern with twelve more live oak double frames, and then rebuild the stem and the apron (more fag paper fits with huge baulks of timber!) and then frame out the bow - another dozen double live oak frames.
    Does anyone know what Leo's long term plan is once the boat is done? E.g. sale? (Presumably not.) Charters? Personal use?

    And whether it is financially viable? Presumably fitting out the hull, decking it, spars, sails, electrics, machinery etc will cost another medium-sized fortune?

    I wish him well and hope that he doesn't run out of steam..

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colwell Bay
    Posts
    5,671

    Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

    Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post
    Does anyone know what Leo's long term plan is once the boat is done? E.g. sale? (Presumably not.) Charters? Personal use?

    And whether it is financially viable? Presumably fitting out the hull, decking it, spars, sails, electrics, machinery etc will cost another medium-sized fortune?

    I wish him well and hope that he doesn't run out of steam..
    I predict sailing home via North Passage.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland - Lough Derg
    Posts
    405

    Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

    Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    I predict sailing home via North Passage.
    If an Albin Vega 27 (27ft 40-year old GRP boat) can be sailed solo round the Americas via the NW Passage then TallyHo will have no difficulty - except perhaps excessive draught?

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,790

    Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

    I predict a Fastnet race entry.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I predict a Fastnet race entry.
    +1

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    313

    Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I predict a Fastnet race entry.
    Doesn't seem to be that easy to guarantee a place:

    http://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/news...e-entry-deluge

    but this should help him ... sold out ... it's often "who you know"

    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/resto...ts-57722741273

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,790

    Default Re: This week’s “Tally Ho”..,

    Quote Originally Posted by XDC View Post
    Doesn't seem to be that easy to guarantee a place:

    http://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/news...e-entry-deluge

    but this should help him ... sold out ... it's often "who you know"

    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/resto...ts-57722741273
    From time to time, there is an Old Gaffers’ Class. I seem to recall that “Jolie Brise” and “Duet” have taken part, and no doubt others have. I suspect that “Tally Ho!” vs “Jolie Brise” would commend itself to the Powers that Be,

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to