Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Silicone antifoul - SeaCoat?

Has anyone used, seen or met anyone that has tried this www.Seacoat.com?
    www.Chasing-Contours.com - A circumnavigation by boat, bikes, climbing & paragliding

Default Re: Silicone antifoul - SeaCoat?

A pal and I were discussing something similar at the weekend

http://www.hempel.co.uk/en-GB/produc...ilic-one-77450

I've not seen enough evidence to prove its use or uselessness.

The boat is going ashore next summer for a blast back and Coppercoat at the moment, unless somebody comes up with some research that proves that this is better.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

Delos have just coated their Amel with the Seacoat stuff - which is maybe why Northcave is interested.

I've always wondered what it like being hauled out with an ultra-slippy bottom.

Depends on the yard doing the hauling I guess.

Im in my third season with the now defunct aqua cote.

works pretty well but we are in and out of salt water all the time, moored in fresh.

would go for the same technology next time.

There is a boat in our yard with it, it is very smooth but the first year came out with a considerable beard and had to be redone, to be fair, she does not move much, but I reckon it would work fine for a boat in constant use.

In the Health and safety data sheet for Prop Speed it is suggested they MAY contain carcinogens. Prop Speed now supply an acid based product to effect removal. At the yard we last used they wouldn't allow removal of silicone coatings that allowed the creation of any dust, at all (fortunately this did not apply to us)

If you do use a silicone based coating and find it lacks the desired effect - then its a devil of a job to remove all traces of silicone. Silicone is obviously a poor substrate to try to over paint.

Most AF work if the vessel is constantly moved.

Despite this negativity - I'm interested.

Jonathan

I received a sample of a silicone antifoul (can't remember the name of the company). I tried it on my self-steering trim-tab. After a season's use the trim-tab had a good beard of green slime, much more than the rest of the hull. The slime easily scrubbed off with the deck brush, and I dare say if my boat could achieve 20kts the weed would have sloughed off. At 4 ~ 5 kts, no chance.
    Would I do the entire hull in the stuff? No. It is damn nearly impossible to remove the coating if you ever wanted to revert to conventional A/F.

Quote Originally Posted by northcave View Post
    Has anyone used, seen or met anyone that has tried this www.Seacoat.com?
    Yes. We had our S&S34 done last October. The yard didnít get it quite right so are doing it again free of charge this Autumn in the shed this time. The finish has to be perfect at the molecular level. Worth speaking to John Bowlin at Seacoat. He is very helpful. He is sending us test panels for the river Tamar in Devon as well. I fear fouling is more about the location than any given product. Really worth watching the Delos video on You Tube too. Good comparisons of other boats in the Caribbean. Fouling does come off VERY easily but you will need regular maintenance if the boat isnít used much. Also yards can be a bit funny about lifting but so far we havenít had a problem with strips slipping. They just put a pair of horizontal check ropes on. Let me know if you want more info and good luck with the decision.

We are just having the hull prepped, ready to apply Seacoat V10X this week.
    Hope it's the right decision!
    Will feed back results.

Please, please make sure they get the substrate perfect before applying. Has you applicator taken advice from the manufacturer? I’m not a sales rep or anything, just a customer who took the chance last year and our yard didn’t get it right. I’m desperate for the product to work (it’s the future) but poor application could result in what is conceptually a fantastic product being blamed when it wasn’t put on properly. Fortunately our applicator is also determined to persevere despite him now running at a loss on the project. Good luck guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast