Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Silicone antifoul - SeaCoat?

I agree that its the future, I think that very soon self antifouling will be banned, having to be left to the "professionals" at triple the cost, closely followed by biocides being banned altogether.
    I hope we have pitched our long term plans correctly.

Ok, the proof will be in the pudding.
    Coating applied and we went back in the water yesterday.
    Obviously we will be monitoring closely, and I'll report back as we see how it goes!
    Needless to say this will be over the next 12 months or so.

I applied Hempel Silic One in May this year to my 7 metre sports cruiser. 1 x coat of 2 pack primer, 1x coat tie coat and 2 x "top" coat of Silic One.

As I cruise at 20 knots the hull should be self cleaning apart from the sides which need a soft brushing down to keep the slime off. So far I'm impressed - and I gained 2 knots on top speed as a result.

Primary reason for doing it was the reduced maintenance as I can now have a "lift and hold" to change engine and leg oil which is around £100 annually vs £220 for the full lift/chock and relaunch.

I expect the coating to last 3 seasons so, in theory i'll save 3 x £120 plus I wont have to antifoul either. When it does need re-coating it's just one topcoat.

It is indeed the future as biocides will eventually be banned. Perhaps I'm a bit ahead of the curve but it intrigues me so had to try it! I have some tie coat and 2 x 750 ml Blue silic one for sale as it will have gone off before I need to use it again!

Can't imagine the business is very profitable, both the boats that I know that tried it had to be done twice at the suppliers expense, but to compensate them, once you have it you are more or less stuck with it. The one in our moorings did not move enough to stay clean but the coating was thick and easy to scrape off, the owner did well to find a buyer for the boat though because he decided selling was easier than changing it.

I applied it myself and followed the instructions to the letter. By the sound of it any damp conditions are not good...

In terms of business viability, its all relative.

Should regulations become so tight that DIY antifouling is banned then foul release coatings will be the only alternative and the market will adapt to suit. (and so will the owners!).

Just a thought...this stuff needs speed to let the crud slide off the hull. So having read with interest the ‘do I antifoul my prop’ threads I wondered if this is the way forward for this problem. High rotational speed, compared to hull speed, of blades and shaft fit the criteria for this stuff. Any thoughts as I'm out the water.

Hempel do sell a "prop pack" but I am not sure how well it will stick to them.

The forces on a prop are significant so I think something harder would be more effective. I recall prop speed is a hard shiny coating.

Having said that I will be painting the bottom leg of my verado as friction reduction of the bit in the water may help "economy". I actually don't need it for fouling as the leg is out of the water when not in use.

I actually think IPS legs would benefit from silic one as they can foul considerably. i will update the forum with results of my application on my sports cruiser when I have something to say...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12