Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: T40 Drive broke

Default Re: T40 Drive broke

I have been rebuilding all types of Volvo and Mercruiser drives for the past 23 yrs and I have found water in the oil on at least 40% of the 2000 plus Volvo drives I’ve serviced. The oil mixes with the water into what we call Baileys and any failures are normally the small pinion gear at the bottom of the vertical shaft as this has the least number of teeth compared to the other gears. To get a failure in the upper section is a result of either hitting something with the prop and the shock breaks teeth off as the shear coupling doesn’t always shear. Or it is lack of oil which shows up as bluing of the upper bearings. All Volvo drives have an oil channel so when the upper gears a spinning it forces oil up to the top bearing as the oil level is half way down the clutch pack. The damage to your clutch is the result of a tooth breaking and then getting minced in the other gears, and the forces wrenched the upper gearhousing apart. I have rarely seen rust in a Volvo drive only when all the oil has gone and its stood with saltwater in it, the Baileys when present is very sticky and coats everything so nothing rusts, in fact I have to use diesel to wash it off the the innards. I’m glad you are back on the water, you were just unlucky I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LUNA View Post
    Anyone know why the clutch cone would be this bad.. literally all in bits both sides and very deep chunks missing . i still think this might of been the cause of the problem but interested to know your opinions

Attachment 73583
    That's not the mating surface, that's where the gear selector makes contact with the sliding cone.
    That damage could be from bits getting jammed in there when it all went t*ts up.

Quote Originally Posted by LUNA View Post
    yeah i thinks its all gone bit rusty as was salt water all over where casing split and ive left it outside to the elements..

will check invoice when get home
    I would check that the correct oil was used, the DPG requires 75/140, as already said above it doesn’t look like the usual colour.

If that’s green oil in one of the pics it’s mercruiser drive oil, I’m not sure it’s the same spec as volvos 75/90 fully synthetic which is the latest oil that Volvo sell.

Hi Luna,
    I saw you arrive back in Haslar yesterday evening (boat looked great btw) is everything sorted now?

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Hi Luna,
    I saw you arrive back in Haslar yesterday evening (boat looked great btw) is everything sorted now?
    Cheers ... yeah all sorted now

thanks for the post ps was the bits ok from coastal rides as they get sammed at times on here

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    thanks for the post ps was the bits ok from coastal rides as they get sammed at times on here
    Yeah ive read mixed reviews about them.. 1st time Ive used them but to be honest was quite helpful and parts good..

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567