Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Everyone said it wooden' be wise

But we finally did it anyway, and Karen and I are now proud owners of our own old classic wooden tub.
    30ft, needing some remedial work, not least where the previous owner took a saw to the pilot house and attempted a roof chop.

s-l1600 (7) by mark punksteel, on Flickr

s-l1600 (8) by mark punksteel, on Flickr

s-l1600 (9) by mark punksteel, on Flickr

IMG_20180915_113808 by mark punksteel, on Flickr

43140757_1725956567514701_6915355915923226624_n by mark punksteel, on Flickr

43139614_2099196076769090_2624650893928169472_n by mark punksteel, on Flickr

IMG_20180915_113943 by mark punksteel, on Flickr

this is how it looked before the coachroof was hacked about, and how we plan to reinstate.

s-l1600 by mark punksteel, on Flickr

s-l1600 (6) by mark punksteel, on Flickr

OLIVER-PHOTO-700x486 by mark punksteel, on Flickr

Default Re: Everyone said it wooden' be wise

Congratulations on your purchase.

Guess you'll be busy for a while

Hopefully you will be able to find time to take on what looks like a major project . Hopefully a blog will soon emerge on YouTube once you begin work though . Congratulations on the new challenge .

Yes there is a fair bit to do, hopefully most of it within my skill set!
    Work schedule is to be little and often. Once the cabin is reinstated to a degree of waterproofness, then I will tackle the few rot patches I have found so far (less than I had expected) and repair the smashed rubbing strake and gunwale at the bow.
    I have messed about with wooden boats before, but not this size, and not with sails, so it will be an interesting learning experience if nothing else.
    Karen already has the bare bones of a blog ready for it.

You must have quite a collection of "tore outs" now. Does this mean the Longbow is going to the skip?

Do you know the history of the boat and its designer/builder? Very well respected in his day.

Can't understand why the PO chopped the doh house as it seems to suit the boat.

We have just two boats now, others sold.
    I am doing research into this one, so any info gratefully received. I am reinstating the pilot house for several reasons. The remaining roof is well made, but the PO obviously did not realise it would not be wide enough once the sides were chopped, same as a car roof chop. Even lower as it is now, there is still standing headroom, but it is simply going to be quicker and easier to put it back as it was rather than widen the roof. Once that is done it will be properly watertight again.
    The PO also moved the engine back, and shortened the shaft. I have to check all that, and the "repairs" he did to the engine that are not entirely clear to me. He said he had the heads off, but did not replace the gaskets, and the starter motor is US. None of that is a big bother to me, I will be going right through the engine anyway.

Welcome to the dark side. what is the engine in her right now?
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

About twenty years ago I became interested in her myself but she had not had any extra accommodation built at that time and the overall layout was a bit unconventional for a 9 ton yacht. Was looking for a 9 ton Falmouth Pilot by the same designer. Did not buy her but later saw her in Ferrybridge boatyard in Weymouth/Portland having the alterations to the coachroof done by, I think, the new owner at that time. Then suddenly saw her for sale very recently jogging my memory.
    www.seasurveys.co.uk
    Surveying & Shipwright info on GRP, WOOD & so much more

Quote Originally Posted by jamie N View Post
    Welcome to the dark side. what is the engine in her right now?
    volvo 2002

Quote Originally Posted by johnlilley View Post
    About twenty years ago I became interested in her myself but she had not had any extra accommodation built at that time and the overall layout was a bit unconventional for a 9 ton yacht. Was looking for a 9 ton Falmouth Pilot by the same designer. Did not buy her but later saw her in Ferrybridge boatyard in Weymouth/Portland having the alterations to the coachroof done by, I think, the new owner at that time. Then suddenly saw her for sale very recently jogging my memory.
    thats really interesting. We have an old survey on the boat from around 2006 if memory serves, it seems the addition was finished way before then so that sounds about right. I am no great expert, but to my eye, the hull is not too bad, a few isolated areas of rot, and obvious damage to the bow and toerail etc. My plan for this year is to do the remedial work to make it safe, then do a proper replanking in a couple of areas where required next year. We just want to get her useable and live with her over winter and spring before we commit to a fuller restoration. At least then we can build in what mods we think will work for us. My initial plan was to spline and epoxy next year, but I think we would prefer to try and keep it traditional if we can, for a while at least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast