Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Bramble Bank strikes again

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    and the tugs accidentally rammed it further up the bank too I guess.
    I assume that is intended as sarcastic. The MAIB report is online - you perhaps should read pages 8&9.

Quote Originally Posted by MAIB
    The ship progressively heeled to starboard and the rate of turn increased rapidly.

2109:36 “Hard a starboard’’

At 2110, SP’s coxswain reported to Southampton VTS by VHF radio that Hoegh Osaka had developed a serious list and required assistance. The VTS operator,
    looking at his radar, noted how quickly Hoegh Osaka appeared to be swinging around West Bramble buoy.

At 2110:30, the pilot gave the order to ‘‘stop engines’’, and soon afterwards he asked

‘‘what the hell is the GM of this vessel?’’

SP’s coxswain then called VTS back advising that Hoegh Osaka had blacked out. Hoegh Osaka’s starboard list continued to increase as the ship swung, exposing its rudder and propeller clear of the water.

<BREAK>

At 2154, the first tug, Svitzer Ferriby, arrived on scene and tried to manoeuvre into a position to push Hoegh Osaka’s stern further onto the bank. However, there were too many mooring ropes floating in the water around the stern of Hoegh Osaka for the tug to approach. SP then cleared the ropes, allowing the tug to manoeuvre into position and gently push the ship’s stern.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    I assume that is intended as sarcastic. The MAIB report is online - you perhaps should read pages 8&9.
    Agreed. I should have before commenting. My previous comments therefore withdrawn.

Heard a first hand account from someone who attended the actual recent event earlier this evening. What was not mentioned was that the boat was travelling at 20 knots away from Cowes, when he encountered a large vessel that was transiting east to west into the Thorn Channel, so instead of backing off and literally waiting to cross, he instead took a large arc to the east to pass under the large ships stern. The re-counter suggested at least 500m radius.

Unfortunately God had placed a large unseen obstruction in front of his chosen arc, it was close to low water not too far from Astronomical Springs and he found God's obstruction, and rather abruptly.

OK he should have slowed down perhaps, or paid attention to his plotter or depth gauge, but he didn't and instead added to the recent cartography of the mid Solent. But I am sure there by the grace of God go many of us re: buoys missed, sandbars missed, other boats missed, etc

I hope his pride and joy is soon mended, and I bet he will learn from the experience. Knowing what I learnt tonight likely less a matter of incompetence (although not completely the case, otherwise he would not have grounded at all), and I understand his crew were not seriously hurt, which is the most important aspect here.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

I struggle to spot it without a plotter

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    I struggle to spot it without a plotter
    No shame - you and many. It's just that when you were a WAFI you'd never have admitted it Are you enjoying you new boat?

I did admit it when I was a WAFI, just no-one listened
    Yep enjoying the new boat ta, especially being able to laze around on a rainy day and still see what's going on around you. And be warm.

Edit; Just to add, coming out of Southampton Water on our old yacht on our way to Cowes, the route we took was dependant on the wind which could be quite changeable in that area, the commercial traffic and the tides. 9 times out of 10 it was easy but every now and then it was quite tricky deciding which side of the bank to go for the quickest passage. In a strong tide the boat would basically crab along sideways almost doubling the distance (it seemed) so getting close to the bank was quite common and always a relief when it was eventually behind you.
    Last edited by colhel; 16-10-18 at 15:38.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345