Default Perils of buying in Greece

I've been having a very stressful time dealing with a broker in Greece (Network Yacht Brokers Lefkas). Once I paid my deposit they became very difficult to deal with and tried to run the clock down on the survey deadline by not cooperating. I have had to hand the matter over to a lawyer. Has anyone else experienced similar difficulties when buying a boat?

Default Re: Perils of buying in Greece

Without knowing any details of your particular situation I think it is unlikely they were trying to run the clock down. Simple inefficiency is much more likely based on my knowing the person involved a little. He's always too busy and very apologetic but that seems to make no difference to real action being taken

Quote Originally Posted by Triple7 View Post
    I've been having a very stressful time dealing with a broker in Greece (Network Yacht Brokers Lefkas). Once I paid my deposit they became very difficult to deal with and tried to run the clock down on the survey deadline by not cooperating. I have had to hand the matter over to a lawyer. Has anyone else experienced similar difficulties when buying a boat?
    Very difficult to comment with so little information.

However you do not have a contract with the broker, but with the vendor so not sure the point of engaging a lawyer. In general it is best to avoid lawyers unless there is a real dispute under the contract and large sums of money are involved. If the issue is about the efficiency of the broker in progressing the sale then difficult to see how involving a third party would help.

Rather than engage a lawyer wouldn't it be easier in the first instance to go out there and oversee matters personally? You're far more likely to get things moving that way I'd have thought.

People have been warned about this and another broker in lefkas , not just here but on Many of the sailing forum .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 12-10-18 at 17:29.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

I tend to agree its mostly incompetence but at the same time, he is not being squeamish about sticking to dates and trying to take advantage. Whether premeditated or not the result is the same. Despite giving him a 2 day window to make the boat available for a survey he went into hiding!

No idea why someone would assume I am not there. Now that the mini hurricane has passed the weather is lovely. :-) Wouldn't dream of having a survey without being present.

I won't comment on the legal issue other than to say I agree it should always be a last resort. That said getting proper professional advice is invaluable.
    Last edited by Triple7; 12-10-18 at 17:35.