Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh Dear

Default Re: Oh Dear

Well, things took an upturn today when my mate rang and said the rebuild kit is here and off I went with injectors in hand, they were rebuilt to the usual Gardner standards of the highest standards and apart from some of his employees "taking the piss" all went well and they were rebuilt and their break pressures set accordingly, despite his workforce giving him some stick he set them up correctly first time and got their break pressures within their working range through experience of shimming injectors. They were fine tuned to their optimum setting and they are now back in the engine.

With the fuel system bled and a freshly charged set of batteries attached she was cranked up and as usual with these engines, she started first time, she had a run on a light load for an hour and warmed up nicely and stopped, the oil was drained and her filters removed and replaced, she had a drink of 6 gallons of Morris's classic SAE 30 and cranked over again and had come cooling system cleaner thrown into her, she ran for about 30 minutes and the coolant was drained and the system was flushed, new anti freeze was added; while I was at it she had a new air filter.
    I am old and wise because i was young and stupid.

Would certainly like to see some photos!

When I was a kid at a haualge firm they had an Erf with a 8 pot gerdner and it had the levers on the injector pump and I was told the driver could shut off cylinders to save fuel when running empty?

We also had 6 6 potters the first of the turbo versions and they were always in the workshop, in fact it was one fitters full time job to do nothing but keep these 6 engiens running.

12hp per litre.....you gotta love something this lazy

why not buy a recon https://www.gardnermarine.com/standard-engines/

It seems it is also possible to hand crank a 24ltr 12 cylinder petrol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyHOXJp7YQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12