Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First steps with a Yachting World Dayboat

Hi,

As a first step into wooden boat ownership I picked up what I believe to be a Yachting World Dayboat on eBay. It came with a set of Patsey & Lapthorn sails dated 1953 which, if purchased new for the original boat, would put it as one of the first private builds.

It is a project which was abandoned some years ago and dry stored ever since. The hull appears to have had some attention and is well painted on the outside with several coats of Toplac which I am inclined to leave at this point. I am currently stripping the inside which is a mix of bare wood, varnish and very old peeling paint.

The question that I am currently considering is when and how to get it wet. Should I complete all the interior stripping and varnishing and then launch it - presumably at that point the planks will take up water and everything will move - or should I launch it now, or leave it outside a bit - so that the hull can take up some moisture - and then varnish it while touch dry.

I have been using Epifanes clear gloss on the floorboards which seems to go on nicely.

I would welcome any comments from those more experienced than I - i.e. everyone.

Many thanks

Graham
    Suffolk

Default Re: First steps with a Yachting World Dayboat

Welcome to 'our world'! For myself, I'd finish her 1st to the best standard that you can achieve, and then launch her. Thinking logically, the boat's as dry as she's ever been after so many years under cover, I'd guess as dry as when she was built, and she would've been fully painted and varnished before launching then.
    I'm not sure that photo's are needed, but they're always nice to see! Good luck with her, and keep 'us' updated. I'm guessing that you're not planning on launching before the spring, which gives you ages of time.
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Agree with the above. Also, join the CVRDA forum where you will find that many of us have leaky clinker boats...on the assumption that it is clinker. http://www.cvrda.org/

She will leak when you launch her after all these years and there is a reasonable chance that your floorboards might start floating but this is par for the course when it comes to a very dry clinker boat that probably needs re-fastening...but without knowing more...

Of course she may be glued clinker whereupon much of the above doesn't apply.

Also, don't go mad making high gloss floorboards, they'll look lovely but will most likely be very slippery when wet.

Smart move buying a Dayboat. Suggest you join www.ydb.co.uk very active and the source for information on the boats. Brings back memories of my early boat. Like many members of Poole Yacht Club i owned it for a period in my earlier days. There are over 60 in the club and actively raced and cruised. Good also for youngsters moving up from class dinghies as a step to cruising.
    Last edited by Tranona; 14-10-18 at 18:11.

If she is dry & sound paint or varnish it now. If the seams between the planks are at all open it is worth carefully cleaning them out & putting some soft non setting oil based mastic in. The one i use is Evomastic, cheap & good stuff. At all costs do not put stuff in that goes hard like epoxy or use silicone sealant as paint will never ever stick to it.
    I just rebuilt a DB no 324 Dixie built in 63, photos are on the ywdb facebook page.

Fantastic - thanks so much for the comments;

I don't think she is glued - I'll try and upload some photos - however the boards are very clean on the inside and beautifully fastened with copper rivets. I'll definitely look into using Evomastic as this would insert very neatly in joins - although it would be difficult to get a continuous run under the frames.

Wombat88 - you make a good and practical point about not over doing it on the floorboards. Shame as I had been using them as a way to perfect my prepping and varnishing skills. Maybe I'll just have to make up a second pair for sailing and keep the originals for shaving in the morning!

Keith66 - sadly I don't have Facebook but might ask for close ups once I get into more detailed territory.

Thanks again for your help - some photos in the next post - I hope!

Here is a photo of the boat as collected and cleaned. The hull has a new transom and several coats of Toplac

DSC07611-small.jpg

Here is the interior - prior to any preparation

DSC07609-small.jpg

The mast and boom

DSC07601-small.jpg

And the stamp on the sails

p9.jpg
    Last edited by Peacock$; 14-10-18 at 14:46.

Ignore anybody telling you that the priority should be to have floorboards with grip; nonsense, it's about the shine!! That's why we have wooden boats, it's nothing to do with anything remotely close to 'practicality' or 'logic'! It's all about having the wood looking perfect!
    I agree with wombat in truth, but on my 'shiny boarded cockpit', I've found that I get enough(ish) foot grip with a decent pair of Docksiders'.
    Also, are the sails cotton, being from 1952? That may add an element of labour and concern possibly?
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

If she was built in 53 she is a real oldie, Her number should be carved into the centre of the middle thwart, there is a register of boats & their numbers on the class association website.

Keith,

Thanks - this is very interesting - the previous owner had restored the middle thwart and I guessed he sanded it down however scraping off the varnish you could convince yourself there is a number.

1.jpg

2.jpg

If it were 67 then that would place her as Judy, built in 1952 by Scotthorn*

Maybe a long shot and apologies to the owners of Judy if this assumption is incorrect.

I'll let others be the judge.

Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast