Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: First steps with a Yachting World Dayboat

Could be. There were several amateur built ones around that time, my late Dad built one & i remember him saying he ran out of planking timber so she was one plank lower than her sisters! He had worked at Jack holts yard at Putney.

Shiny floor boards...mix sugar with a coat of varnish, let the varnish dry and wash the sugar away...there are lots of other ways of making it non slip.

Mastic (spawn of the devil) not the inside, only on the outsides, a thin bead along the lands that are below waterline.

More importantly...

1) Broken or cracked ribs. One or two OK but any more and the boat will work and consequently leak. Have a look for them and see what can be done.

2) Fastenings. Are they tight? Have they gone a funny colour and nasty? Amazing how much water can find its way into a boat through loose fastenings.

There are probably 100 ways to approach your project and lots of different opinions.

Decide what your priorities are first, ie go sailing soon / do the job OK / restore it to its former glory in truly traditional form etc etc

Having decided what you want to do then the appropriate techniques (and effective and time honoured botches) will present themselves

When we had an old 1880ish wooden boat I remember my father telling the next owner to spray the hull for the 24 hours before launching so this may help
    The new owners were not amused when their pride and joy gradually filled as she went down the slipway

At the risk of being sensible I'd suggest that the OP gets in touch with someone locally who is familiar with clinker boats and work out an appropriate plan of attack. I'd enjoy doing this but am fortunately too far away...

Quote Originally Posted by wombat88 View Post
    I'd enjoy doing this but am fortunately too far away...
    Wombat and I are as one on this!!
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Great - thanks everyone for your comments which are really appreciated.

To answer the original question I will clean and varnish the interior of the hull dry and then put her in the water. This will hopefully give me some idea of what level of leakage I am dealing with - if any! - and make it easier to decide how best to proceed.

I will report back on progress - probably sometime next year.

Me and my dad about 1967 sailing, drifting around the harbour wall in Minehead
    Screenshot_20181013-195923.jpg
    Last edited by daveyw; 20-10-18 at 18:59.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12