Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Watchet Silt and Mud Group report mud removal Success

Been reading on Google about the trial in August of the latest mud removal system to be tested at Watchet. It appears to be a great success and much cheaper than anything else. It involves air lines laid on the bottom with the air stirring up the mud so that it drifts out of the harbour on the ebb, Similar to the barge that was there but this time a permanent fixture that works all the time on the ebb tide. Fingers crossed this could be the solution. Google Watchet Mud and you'll find the details.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Default Re: Watchet Silt and Mud Group report mud removal Success

I sure hope so, Watchet is too nice a destination and refuge to fall into unusability
    A boat is for going places

Let's hope it works and remains a permanent solution

Would love to start using Watchet again but not happy sitting in mud, no matter how gloopy it is
    See the rainbow not the rain

Too true, I don't want to dunk my brand new Bravo 3x in the mud when I return next year with my new/old rebuilt sports jobby!
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

I wish Watchet all the best and hope it works

When a similar (water jet) system was proposed several years ago, the Environment Agency kicked up a big fuss. At the time it was pointed out to them very firmly that no-one was creating any new mud, just wanting to emulate the normal foreshore transport system of keeping the stuff moving along the coast.

Glad to hear that a simple solution looks as if it has been found.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Hope this works wonders!

Any more news about Watchet is it working this new idea

I've read the comment on the other thread, saying the "new" method just made holes. I'm not surprised as the pipe dredgers are normally used on underwater archaeological sites. A good bit of kit for the right job but I can't see much use for it in Watchet.
    After visiting the marina many times and reading a number of reports on the mud, I came up with my own suggestion.

The stream that comes down off the moors is tidal at the tide end. If a dam was added to hold the level at high tide, it would give a reservoir large enough to produce a large amount of water to pump into the marina. If pipes with a series of jets were laid on the floor of the marina, the fresh water could be used to agitate the silt so it stayed in suspension whist the gate is open. The following things would need addressing/testing:
    1. The dam may need to lift/drop when the stream is in flood. (Having a sump would still provide enough water)
    2. The best time, of the tidal cycle, for the pumping/agitation would need to be established.
    3. The marina may need to be split into sections, which could be agitated one at a time, if the water supply/pumps are too small.

Many people have said that the harbour didn't silt up when it was fed by the stream. This addresses that, in a controlled way. It may also help to have some compressed air added in certain areas. Care would need to be taken as vessels lose buoyancy it there is too much air in the water!
    I have some experience of water jets, in industrial process equipment and they don't penetrate far through standing water. The design of the the jets and the jet arrays would be crucial. The key being to produce turbulence.
    The whole testing and design process would be perfect for a university project or someones PhD Thesis.
    Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 02-12-18 at 20:33.
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

Popped into the office today..... got shown a picture of the new dredger! Yay I thought....

poo I thought as it was literally just the jigged up & painted mud / water injection bit. Really? After a year of build all you can show a customer is a picture of a 8 inch pipe with 50 holes in it?

Progress is slow.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast