Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920

Default Re: Any interest in a new build thread?

Well we're well behind schedule, but never mind! The boat is now pretty much set the way we want her, and looking more like home - Instruments are configured to my simple tastes (there are so many different data items on these things) and telling me there's been a 28knot max wind in Portland today so although the sun is shining and the thermometer says it's 21 degrees I have been putting up a few hooks, and setting the Tecma toilets water usage and other bits and bobs like adjusting deck locker catches to exert a bit more pressure on the seals. Found time for lunch at Quiddles at Chesil cove which was very nice:

Importantly the boat is good, all the systems are doing as they should, and she is proving to be a comfortable and nice place to be aboard. Julie has added plenty of cushions and other bits to stamp our style on her and has turned out some good food using the GN Espace which she says is a very good oven. Here's a mood shot!

So this weekend we will go back to Chichester for a week or so, and then head off south.......

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post

Well we set of from Portland, and as the weather was nice and calm we headed west instead of east - Portland Bill looked to be in a benign state so we went through the inshore(ish) passage

So Chichester will have to wait a week or so, while we visit a couple of West Country favourites - On route to Torquay we found that even after checking everything you can easily assume and so miss something - Our Genoa furling line was cut too short which was picked up on the handover test sail, and to my surprise when we went to unfurl the sail, it still is! Oh well the winds were sufficiently light we needed to motorsail anyway. The main and Jib are fine, so just need to get the furling line seen to - think I might get a larger diameter tail spliced on to the line to make it nicer to handle, must be possible?

So the only other gremlin that showed up was the sail locker bilge pump started to cycle, there was some gunge, possibly paper originally, that was confusing the sensor switch. Not sure how it got in there, but I think the water got in because the locker catches were set a bit loose.

We ended up in Torquay Marina, which I have to say must be one of the best run, and most helpful marinas we've visited, they put us in a good spot being a "25m" berth between two flybridge mobos so the view is limited, but we are almost in the town. Here we are looking a bit small, but adding plenty of class!

Our view forward is better, this following a nice supper and a good nights sleep

Hopefully when we do get back to Chichester it will be time to re-tune the rigging after its initial stretch, and get the engine/propshaft alignment checked, seems smooth enough just now, but there will be some settlement I expect.

Well you can start you bag for cordage with the roller furling line,handy stuff !

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Well you can start you bag for cordage with the roller furling line,handy stuff !
    Haha - every cloud has a silver lining!

Well since the weather was so nice, we didn't go back to Chichester, and instead went on to Salcombe, for a perfect week, watching the Merlin Rockets shoot past us on our mooring, eventually we left Salcombe to go back and overnight in Studland before returning to Lymington today so the one or two issues that surfaced in the shakedown can be fixed.

If there was one single element of our spec that has impressed it would be the MV lithum batteries. These have had a big impact since they re-charge so quickly which means much less generator time and less gas use since we use the electric kettle and toaster rather than the oven. We used to run the generator to produce hot water but now we can fire up the Eberspacher, which is quieter, and possibly more efficient. This is all helped because we didn't need to run a watermaker relying on our tanks which we have worked out will last ten days with care (but still having a shower everyday.

So overall the boat is proving to be very good I'm pleased to say. So here's a gratuitous photo of the boat on her mooring in Salcombe

Last edited by Barbican; 11-07-19 at 20:56.

Sir that is a lovely looking boat. So glad you are enjoying it
    It looks worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister E View Post
    Sir that is a lovely looking boat. So glad you are enjoying it
    It looks worth the wait.
    Thank you

A while ago I got an email asking what the Revelation/lowered saloon version of my boat would look like - They've just posted a couple of renders of the saloon:

REvn2.jpgrevn3.jpg

These are the starboard side of the saloon looking forwards, and the port side looking over the galley aft. this shows an optional extra storage cabinet on the end of the galley surface.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920