Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Southerly 480 build thread

Recently signed up for a new boat (sail), so whilst I will probably produce a blog to share my experience with other potential buyers of the same boat/builder I thought I would check to see if there's any interest on the forum.

So let me know!
    Last edited by Barbican; 25-10-18 at 06:57. Reason: Trying to work out how to do stuff!

Default Re: Any interest in a new build thread?

Yes ! Winter is approaching....
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    Yes ! Winter is approaching....
    Well the build is well underway but I have been taking a pictures during the process but she should be finished during December, then rigged and launched at some point in Feb for comisioning. January will be taken up with the boat going to Dusseldorf Boot, so there is quit a lot going on..

Other people have had 'new build' threads. Consider what the target audience is here, and on PBO - and if your yacht fits that cross section you will find people are interested. If you are building a super yacht or even a superyacht I think you will cater for dreams not reality.

So - if relevant to the membership - lots of interest, especially if its a 'popular' yacht with a 'common' construction.

Jonathan

Yes! Lots of interest... never mind the implied snobbery, doesn't matter what type of yacht you are building/having built for you, there will be an intrigued audience for what you are doing. If it is of a type we can all relate to - what the snobs call an "AWB", it will be just as interesting - possibly more so - as a timber classic or a superyacht. And I'll still read it with interest is it is one of the latter!

Do make sure that they get the helipad in the right way up, though, otherwise I might stop reading!

It's ALL about dreaming isn't it, sailing?

Well the boat is a Southerly 480, being built by Discovery Yacht Group in Marchwood so not big enough for a helipad but we might have room for a folding bike instead.
    I will get some pics organised and post some later today

Quote Originally Posted by Barbican View Post
    Well the boat is a Southerly 480, being built by Discovery Yacht Group in Marchwood so not big enough for a helipad but we might have room for a folding bike instead.
    I will get some pics organised and post some later today

Great,
    Ill find such a thread interesting, the build process, Launching, and your early adventures.

Good Luck and have fun.

Steveeasy

I bought my new boat 5 years ago so I suspect that my buying days are over. That said. Id love to read about the inevitable ups and downs as she evolves from her shell to become a fine seagoing vessel.

By comparison to yours, mine was bought from a supermarket so Im interested to read how the build develops from a bespoke yard.

Many congratulations on your purchase, Im envious already!

Looking forward to reading all about it.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast