Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Any interest in a new build thread?

Some machinery arrived a while back, and is now installed, the main engine is a Yanmar 4JH80, caught just as it was released from the box. 80hp powers the boat very well. A feathering 4 blade MaxProp will be installed at some point. I haven't opted for an aqua drive, on the basis of KISS.

The genset was still all wrapped up and is now installed but here is the mounting which ends up under the raised saloon.

The model is an Onan 6kva. I had short-listed a Fisher Panda 5 Neo originally since it is smaller and lighter than the Onan and its principal use will be battery charging, but there is just the possibility we might want other kit installed later, and I wouldn't want to find we needed to change the genset as well.

A self build blog?

Yes please, but please put it onto a blog page and post links. Not everyone wants the full and regular update.

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post
    A self build blog?

Yes please, but please put it onto a blog page and post links. Not everyone wants the full and regular update.
    I disagree. Inline is fine - I can comment and ask questions easily without having to visit and create accounts for loads of different blog sites. You don't have to read the thread unless you want to...
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Sea_Spray View Post
    I disagree. Inline is fine - I can comment and ask questions easily without having to visit and create accounts for loads of different blog sites. You don't have to read the thread unless you want to...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Sea_Spray View Post
    + another one.

I’m already hooked and this boat seems to be progressing more quickly than our last “new build” thread. That one made >1000 posts (eBay never splashed Colvic Detritus )

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    + another one.

I’m already hooked and this boat seems to be progressing more quickly than our last “new build” thread. That one made >1000 posts (eBay never splashed Colvic Detritus )
    Haha, Its progressing quickly because I'm weeks behind! but I will catch up, then it will slow down somewhat.....

Whilst the main build process continues apace in one part of the factory cabinetry is being produced next door, here is a picture of some of the joinery being built, CNC cut parts are hand assembled and finished, Discovery are well known for having a very high standard of finish:

This assembly then receives some lacquer and looks like

You might be able to see a couple of grooves cut into the solid wood by the hinges, normally these are filled with contrasting light or dark wood strips, but we are going for stainless, its quite difficult to do compared to wood apparently but I approved the mock up pictured here resting on the corner of the forecabin berth, committed now:

Discovery also do their own marquetry, here's the mockup they sent through so I could choose which woods:

This compass will be on the outside of the folded leaves of the saloon table, but normally they are placed centrally on the inside:

Were not really testing their skills much, but its good to see their craftsmanship as well as boat building skills
    Last edited by Barbican; 15-11-18 at 15:02.

OK so whilst the furniture is being made, and to get back on course with the main build once the hull moulding and main bulkheads engine mounts etc have been put in the floor grids start to go in. Most of this is constructed like this:

So this picture shows the main saloon and forecabin area. Lower centre is the TekTanks main water tank, in the middle is the keel box , the aperture on the side is for the retaining pin used to pin the keel fully up top slot is where the lifting pennant goes through, and the large hole is an inspection/maintenance hatch giving access to the pennant attachment. To the port side of the keel, you can just see the side of the fuel tank.

Forecabin area showing the bowthruster tube, and some access holes for the speed/depth transducer, although in this twin cabin version they will actualy be further aft, so these will be blanked off at some point.

Sail locker and chain locker shown here, both bulkheads are watertight when the chain locker access door is in place, the underwater sections of the hull up to 400mm above the waterline have Kevlar incorporated. There is a hatch in the sail locker to access a bilge pump and a small ladder is installed to get in/out.

A shot of the lazarette area at roughly the same time(but not yet flocoated), showing gas locker and storage area. Two hatches in the watertight bulkhead on the left give access to the Lewmar Mamba steering gear and autopilot drive
    Last edited by Barbican; 15-11-18 at 15:06.

Going back to basic structure, how is it built - hand layup or spray or what? I presume there's no balsa anymore - what's used instead?

No wonder boats are expensive,so much work and materials and planning.m

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast