Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Southerly 480 build thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Do you have a berth to crash out on when conditions are not nice,what are your design parameters a coastal cruiser,ocean crosser .Thanks for the photos and drawings
    Yes we have the starboard saloon berth with a lee cloth, and the port also with leecloth. The aft cabin is also surprisingly good again with a lee cloth down the centre, I tend to wedge myself against the side bulkhead.

Our plans are for the Med for a couple of years then the Baltic but we may be tempted to the Caribean at some point, but one of our main aims is to have a nice platform to live on or Julie wont come! Talking to the Shards who have done a few miles in their Southerly's Im happy we are well placed for our aims. They have done about 4000 miles in their 480 so far and are very happy with her. Im looking forward to hear how the boat works for the transat they are about to do.
    Last edited by Barbican; 25-10-18 at 06:56. Reason: Trying to work out how to do stuff!

Default Southerly 480 build thread

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post
    A self build blog?

Yes please, but please put it onto a blog page and post links. Not everyone wants the full and regular update.
    I'm just working out how to use a blog tool, but eventualy it will be here:
    www.southerly480.com
    Last edited by Barbican; 25-10-18 at 20:15.

Default Re: Any interest in a new build thread?

Don't know how I missed this thread, I love "Southerly Yachts". Thanks for taking the time to post it, I'm hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Don't know how I missed this thread, I love "Southerly Yachts". Thanks for taking the time to post it, I'm hooked.
    You're welcome - I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed lurking on the forum in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbican View Post
    You're welcome - I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed lurking on the forum in the past.
    As said, I love the boats. I followed the Distant shores boat and have tracked the existing 57's, Tal-lira being one that was well documented. Most ended up in America. I look forward to your progress on this thread.
    Last edited by MrB; 26-10-18 at 08:56.

Interesting thread, I’ll look forward to seeing the boat develop.

Out of interest which other makes/ models did you consider before settling on the 480.

Well 5 years ago we bought the 47, and at that time we considered many boats including power and catamarans. We looked in detail at the Nautitech 442, the Antares 44 and Broadblue 44. Finally decided on the principle of a deck saloon mono so looked at the Rustler 44 in detail along with Regina, Moody and Southerly 42. The Southerly 47 won over the 42 due to stowage and layout albeit we waited for the first one to be completed rather than buying off plan. This time round we made the decision easily because we still haven't seen anything coming on the market to change our minds, we know the design very well, and are very much sold on the variable draft and raised deck saloon so if the 480 didn't exist, we wouldn't be changing....
    Last edited by Barbican; 26-10-18 at 22:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbican View Post
    variable draft and raised deck saloon
    That is the exact reason I fell in love with them too.

So while the floor grid and furniture are being installed the deck is being prepared alongside. There's a fair bit of preparation involved, but I'll cover more as the deck gear gets installed. Here's a deck moulding out of the mould being transfered between sheds

Here is the underside in which you can see the window frames supporting structures being fitted, and the first of 13 hatches. The photo you can see through the front window aperture is of a Discovery 55.

Side panels and window surrounds are produced, from templates shown here trial fitted

You can see there are no moulded non slip areas on the sidedeck as this will be covered by a teak deck, the long raised section in this photo where the Genoa track is mounted all deck fittings are mounted onto solid GRP rather than teak.

In this photo you can see the cup I dropped, and the deck from above, now most of the deck hatches have been cut, but not the companionway (which is done when the deck is fitted to the hull), access holes have been cut on the steering pedestals which allow servicing of the top UJ's mounted on the steering systems torque tubes (Lewmar Mamba system) and other equipment that will be installed on the pedestal. These will have watertight covers installed.

It won't be very much longer before the prepared deck is craned over to the hull for installation

Meanwhile work is also going on under the hull so I'll post a few more photo's soon..
    Last edited by Barbican; 29-10-18 at 15:12.

Great thread

Have I understood this correctly though?

5 years ago you commissioned a Southerly 47, which you loved, but have now commissioned a Southerly 480?

Are they not very similar boats? What benefits do you anticipate the 480 providing over the 47?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast