Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Default Re: Any interest in a new build thread?

Hello again

Just wondering why the antipathy towards water makers? You've mentioned a few times that you're looking to swerve the option if at all possible and have increased tank capacity accordingly

But..you have shed loads of generating capacity, and having unlimited water for showers is surely preferable to watching the litres (inevitable, even with 1000 l capacity) and very good for crew / spouse harmony.

Personally can't think of a better way to spend amps

Saloon table looks magnificent

Hi, yes your right! I am being lazy about the watermaker maintenance. When I looked at our usage in the last couple of years I realised that if we had had an extra 60gals or so we would not have needed to run the WM, so its a bit of a test, to begin with we will be fine but I imagine when we get further east in the Med we will retro fit one. Probably an Osmosea ES100 unit.

The genset is certainly bigger than we need, Discovery had it in stock as another customer had changed his order and they offered it to me as an alternative to the smaller and lighter type I specced. Price and the possibility to add some aircon in the future swung me towards it.
    Last edited by Barbican; 08-11-18 at 08:41.

Well having rushed through the majority of the build, I am now pretty much up to date, so this instalment is from today's visit.

Firstly at ground level I see the freezer's keel cooler is now installed and the coppercoat appears to be complete. Anitfoul for the thruster legs and props etc, will take place prior to launch when she returns from Dusseldorf.

At the same time the swim platform was being prepared for fitting once the decking has been laid on the other side, but here is the outer surface getting a polish

On deck the main hatch garage is being fitted, along with various locker linings, and lids, whilst more glass is being installed. In this photo you can see the boat from the front with the glass in place, and along the toerail all nicely wrapped are the stanchion bases and one of the two mid cleats.

And here's the hatch garage, and washboard channels being added

Aft the deck lockers are being lined. Once these are in place, the steering gear will go in, prior to a final flocoat.

And forwards the stem fitting/ bow roller is now in place

Down below the fixings for the head linings are being installed whilst the last bits of tabbing between the deck and joinery were being completed. Here are some of the boards in place in the fore cabin

Finally, over in the joinery area the saloon table was being lacquered, whilst the last bits of galley furniture were about to go across to the build area.

Lots of pics I'm afraid, but they are making rapid progress. during the next couple of days, much of the stainless will be installed or sent to Lang and Potter to be upholstered, and the engineering guys will move on board to install the pumps, winches and other gear so I will pop back in a week or so....
    Last edited by Barbican; 08-11-18 at 15:29.

Come along way Iremember my Dads new boat in build had scraps of cardboard over decks.......in 1970

Now it's stickyback paper!

I've written some background information on the buying decision, process and spec over on the www.southerly480.com blog site for those that may be interested. If there are any areas where you would like to see/read more detail let me know here, or by using the contact button on the site.

Having never done this sort of thing before, I'm aware I might be missing the mark, so direction is welcome

This week’s visit has made me quite excited! There were a lot of people working on different aspects of the boat, and of course my job is to keep out of the way, however….

Up above I’m pleased to say the main companionway has been cut out, so now the rest of the glass is being fitted. Its good to see some of the removed bits of GRP, it gives a good idea of how thick/strong the mouldings are

Aft deck lockers are now being completed with liners and lids being aligned and fitted and made ready for the decking.

Now that tabbing is complete, the steering gear will be fitted, and the whole lazarette area treated to a further coat of flow coat.
    So the companionway hatch and washboards are now functional, and the hatch garage was waiting to one side ready for installation.

Winches have been installed with protective wrapping, through the sheet bin aperture, you can just see the label of the electric motor unit.

Clutches are in place but wrapped, so next along the overhead saloon hatch and fixed port is being installed seen here from the inside with the framing for the finishing’s being installed

Whilst at the bow end the pulpit was going into position, this has fold down seats for those occasions when it’s nice to sit at the bow. You can also see the pad for the windlass in position. These pads are used to avoid bolting components through the (teak/synthetic) decking.

The mast step will be installed shortly, when the compression post goes in later in the week, they had been checking the delivered part, so it was sitting on the deck.

It felt good to be able to go below through the main companionway albeit on temporary steps, and below there has been a lot of progress, with a lot of the headlining panels fitted, yet to be covered with the Silvertex lining material. Here are the steps:
    Firstly supports are positioned

Next the liners are fitted

Then these are covered/trimmed and the final article will look like this shot of the forecabin hull ports, with a blind installed to check the design detail works well

You can see more of the boards in this shot of the nav-station, and the headroom in the saloon area which is still very good when the headlining is in place.

Much of the flooring is currently temporary boards put down since the flooring panels, now cut out and trial finished are being sent back to the joinery department for the Amtico to be applied, and for the boards to be sealed/lacquered.

Lastly more preparation is being done to the swim platform, here’s the inside surface being prepared, the stainless cassette contains a folding ladder, and fits into the slot on the top edge of the door on the far left of this photo.

Not pictured but a lot of other kit had been installed, such as the salt and fresh water pumps and heater matrices etc, but these are covered at the moment, so I will cover them in a future post when I can get to them. In the next few days the mast compression post, the chain plates, the final elements of the galley will be installed whilst the steering and deck will be largely complete ready for Dek King to do their stuff.
    Last edited by Barbican; 15-11-18 at 07:23.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567