Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Default Re: Any interest in a new build thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbican View Post
    Currently the stainless fabrication is also done by an outside contractor, although as the sales grow I would imagine they would like to do this in house. I guess the decking is another area, certainly in my case because we have selected Dek King. Even with teak for reasons of scale I guess it is cost effective to use an external supplier for the deck panels.
    Indeed, -I think you'd be hard pushed to find a Production / semi production UK Yacht builder of any size who doesn't use an external supplier for decking. - The two biggest suppliers are Wattsons and Moodys, - and are used by most of the prominent brands in UK boat building.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewfromFal View Post
    Indeed, -I think you'd be hard pushed to find a Production / semi production UK Yacht builder of any size who doesn't use an external supplier for decking. - The two biggest suppliers are Wattsons and Moodys, - and are used by most of the prominent brands in UK boat building.
    Yes I agree, my previous boat was fitted with a Moody system If I remember and has been very good. When we were looking at the choices I think the only builder I saw building their own was Rustler but that would have been back in 2010 or so. It will be very interesting to see how the DekKing performs....
    Last edited by Barbican; 23-11-18 at 16:57.

Thanks for sharing your build - a great thread and boat.

I used to sell yachts for Northshore (1990 to 1996) and saw many yachts being built in that time (fit out at Itchenor and hulls built with decks bonded at Havant) Back then most builds were smaller by some margin and less complex by modern standards.

Great to see the brand doing well - how many 480's have been sold now?

Quote Originally Posted by E39mad View Post
    Thanks for sharing your build - a great thread and boat.

I used to sell yachts for Northshore (1990 to 1996) and saw many yachts being built in that time (fit out at Itchenor and hulls built with decks bonded at Havant) Back then most builds were smaller by some margin and less complex by modern standards.

Great to see the brand doing well - how many 480's have been sold now?
    I think they have sold 9 but I'm not absolutely sure. I remember looking at the first Vancouver 34 which would have been back in your day, and seeing those 50ft cats being commissioned. We had a V27F which although Pheon built would have been moulded at Havant.

Thanks for reading the thread, and very pleased to hear you enjoyed it.

This week I only made a very quick visit to the factory since its only a few days since the previous visit, however progress has been made. On the outside of the boat more of the deck fittings had been installed, to the point where the decking can now be fitted. This picture shows the the foredeck area, with windlass installed, followed by one of the sail locker access ladder.

Here is the curved track for the self tacking jib with the mast step, and ventilator for the fwd heads to the left

Shown here are the stainless grab rails that have been installed on the coach roof

At the aft end the first elements of the decking are being installed. This may well divide opinion because its synthetic, and because its not teak coloured, but I'm pleased with how it looks, and looking forward to the ease with which it can be cleaned. It should also be a little cooler in the sun, and lighter as well.

Down below the companionway steps had been installed you can just make out the hinges under the top step. Although these lift up, all the daily check/service items are accessible through the floor or hatches in the aft cabin but for larger jobs these can be lifted, and a catch is provided to hold them up.

The teak surround has been installed at the top of the companionway

And the Corian work surfaces are now being installed in the galley. The colour (Ash Concrete) can be seen on the right hand side where the up-stand is not covered.

Meanwhile more progress on the head linings and boards has been made. Here's how the forecabin looks now

A lot of progress has been made on the wiring and I saw the beginnings of the NMEA2000/Raymarine stuff going in so hopefully I can get some photos of the electrical systems next week.

It’s exhausting,so much detail and planning involved and allowing for access for maintenance once finished,yachts are so much more complex these days!

Yes very true - My first boat (Vancouver 27) just had a couple of batteries, a few lights and some basic Walker instruments. My old Lagonda car compared to our Range Rover is the same - Ever onwards!

Really interesting thread- am I correct in thinking this is the same model that was at the SBS in September ?

Quote Originally Posted by ashtead View Post
    Really interesting thread- am I correct in thinking this is the same model that was at the SBS in September ?
    Hi, Yes thats right, hull no 3 was at SBS - Glad you are enjoying the thread and thanks for commenting.

Many thanks hull no 3 certainly impressed when we walked around and found those minding her most informative. We have had artificial decks factory fitted by one of the other providers for 3 years BTW and don't regret the choice for ease of maintenance etc .

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast