Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Default Re: Any interest in a new build thread?

I am enjoying the updates watching how it all takes shape and fittes together. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister E View Post
    I am enjoying the updates watching how it all takes shape and fittes together. Thank you for sharing.
    Glad you're enjoying it. The detail thats been missed because components get wrapped for protection will hopefully be covered when the commissioning process takes place and everything is tested before handover.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbican View Post
    I think they have sold 9 but I'm not absolutely sure. I remember looking at the first Vancouver 34 which would have been back in your day, and seeing those 50ft cats being commissioned. We had a V27F which although Pheon built would have been moulded at Havant.

Thanks for reading the thread, and very pleased to hear you enjoyed it.
    That's a good number for the size of yacht and outlay. I suppose there is not much British built competition for yachts of this size with Oyster being the only obvious candidate to mind - but still no lifting keel!

Yes the Freebird 50 catamaran was the Northshore built multihull - well ahead of it's time being a monocoque structure and sailed superbly - completely changed my view on cats (that are designed correctly) having been a staunch mono sailor for years. Shame the boat is no longer available. The V34 was a favourite of mine - beautifully balanced boat. I left Northshore at the age of 27 being the primary Southerly salesman, I was frustrated at that time with the lack of direction of the Southerly brand - the 100/115 were in desperate need of replacement and I could not see a long term future there at that time. Shame as I loved the brands and the place.

Looking forward to seeing your 480 progress.

Well another week goes by, and so another visit to see the progress on the build. Lots of work has been done, with more head/side linings installed and with the LED light units going in at the same time. Here's the fore-cabin area above the desk area showing a couple of the Quick Lighting units, and the head linings in place. In the very top left you can just see one of the overhead deck hatches, which have now got their surrounds in place, and integral fly screens and blinds installed.

Underneath this area the first elements of the stainless steel trim were being installed in the fiddle rails, Here are some installed above the desk cupboards, with a couple of sections waiting to be installed at the base of the adjacent cupboards. At the lower left a couple of power sockets are being installed.

And some more along the shelf beside the fore-cabin berth.

The heads compartments are now very nearly complete with the shower door and mixer tap installed (with some festive tinsel) in this shot

On deck stanchion bases, rubbing strakes and the aft pulpit have been installed, in this photo the bow sections are being cleaned up and inspected for any imperfections. The cove line is shown here moulded in white gel, but will soon be covered in a stainless steel coloured vinyl tape.

In this photo the Raymarine I70s instruments were being installed in the hatch garage pod

Other elements such as the hull transducers, and Raynet HS-5 switch, and AIS are being installed now as well, here is the HS-5 switch and AIS700 unit installed under the nav desk.

At the stern the swim platform had been craned into position and the stainless hinges were being positioned. The blue object on the right is a stainless chain plate for the split back stay.

More of the steering system in now in place, this photo shows the torque tube connecting the upper bevel gears to the lower gearbox

The same components are present for both the port and starboard wheels and are linked by a tie bar shown here

While in the same area I took a quick snap showing the cockpit drain and shore power inlet socket installed with protective boards covering the decking material with a harness attachment point, and manual bilge pump covered in yellow tape. The white paper at the left top of the photo is covering a vent grill

Whilst underneath the waterline the four blade Maxprop feathering propeller and Ambassador rope cutter have been installed.

And the mainsheet arch was being finished with wiring in place for the cockpit lighting, sadly I don't think this will be in place for Dusseldorf since it nearly doubles the cost of the transport because of the hight and it's not easy to put up and take down

Over in the joinery area the floor coverings are now almost complete, ready for the edges to be sealed prior to installation

And on a different bench more stainless trim was being fitted, here the large fiddle that goes on the aft cabin berth is being addressed.

The last bit of the joinery which I had not seen previously is the instrument binacle to be installed on the nav table seen here after being lacquered

So she is progressing very well, and I am very pleased with how she is coming together, can't wait to see her with all of the protective coverings removed! As I was walking between the buildings I saw one of the Bluewater 50 catamaran decks about to be transfered into the build area, and it reminded me how much bigger a 50ft cat is than a monohull, simply huge!

Last edited by Barbican; 05-12-18 at 15:44.

She's looking good and coming on quickly. Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    She's looking good and coming on quickly. Thanks for the update.
    Glad you're enjoying it - Thanks for commenting

lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    lovely
    Thank you - The guys at Discovery do a great job.

Another "thanks for sharing" comment from me. Really enjoying seeing the build pogress.

David

Quote Originally Posted by davidlhill View Post
    Another "thanks for sharing" comment from me. Really enjoying seeing the build pogress.

David
    I'm pleased your enjoying it, there's still a lot to come but a slight interlude while the boat goes off to Dusseldorf. Then when she gets back I will carry on...

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast