Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Silting Up

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    Too far downriver to be a probable factor in silting the upper reaches, but the seawall breach in Chatterson's Creek in Tollesbury in the 1990s, AKA at the time as a Managed Retreat, has fundamentally remodelled Tollesbury Fleet.

The Fleet, or South Channel, was favoured when the marina was dug in the early 70s, but the far greater volume of water in the header tank of the seawall breach cut a gut into North Channel, and has turned South Channel into almost an ox bow lake. In the early 70s, the channel at the shram hill off Shingle Head was a good fathom deep at low water springs, but today there is virtually no water.

Therefore it would seem a reasonable hypothesis to me that a significant reduction in headwater flow could be a major factor in silting from the Fullbridge on down. Trying to sail up to the prom after this year's Maldon Regatta was frustrating, grounding three times at pretty much high water, whenever we tacked out of the surprisingly narrow gut, and the Mayfly grounded 20' shy of the visitors' pontoon. Not a spring tide, to be fair, but definitely shallower than before.
    I was all set for the Maldon Regatta but there wasn't enough water to sail her off the bloody mooring! Mill Beach upwards is becoming a pain, especially with a head wind.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Default Re: Silting Up

Certainly it has been said that Bradwell has been raked. How much, how frequent, don't know.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234