Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Blackwater Silting Up

Should anyone be interested, the Maldon Harbour Improvement Commissioners are holding their APM next Tuesday, 1930 at Blackwater Sailing Club. I think this issue is on the agenda but can be brought-up if not.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

I guess it's down to tides, channel morphology (and a dozen other variables) and the good old butterfly effect. Dealing with fluid dynamics with lots of variables is tricky, and any model is only a model.
    Fresh water will dilute salt water, but the two don't mix very quickly - the fresh water floats on the top and generally there's a saline wedge that progresses up the channels on the flood. For the same movement / volume, salt water will carry more sediment (or of a different particle size), but engineers better than I struggle with this the world over. Its a fascinating topic. We'll never crack it.

No one's mentioned whether, and the heavy preponderence of Easterlies this year. Where I was born in Cornwall, there was a beach South of Land's End (Nanjizal) that would be full of sand one year and only rocks the next... Depending on what the gales had done in the winter...
    Last edited by Gladys; 19-10-18 at 15:38. Reason: typo
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

There has been little rain this summer. The Blackwater system has not been dumping huge amounts of water under the Fullbridge and carrying silt further down the estuary. Hence silt accumilating further up river. If we get a wet winter I would expect scour in the upper reaches and siltation to accumulate further down the estuary.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Clanger View Post
    Should anyone be interested, the Maldon Harbour Improvement Commissioners are holding their APM next Tuesday, 1930 at Blackwater Sailing Club.
    Oh dear, that's embarrassing.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Oh dear, that's embarrassing.
    Ooops, why, have I lived up to my nom-de-plume?!
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

No, you haven't (well you might have but I didn't mean that). It's embarrassing for me.

Default Silting Up

The river just below Chatham town centre and up around the bridge has been silting up with the decline in commercial traffic and the resulting loss of funds for dredging.
    Be careful if navigating at LW especially springs, some of the stuff is hard.

Default Re: Silting Up

Reflecting.. it occurs to me that you might just have encountered a MMC rather than silting. A common feature in Colliers Reach.

Default Re: Silting Up

Quote Originally Posted by tillergirl View Post
    Reflecting.. it occurs to me that you might just have encountered a MMC rather than silting. A common feature in Colliers Reach.
    I'm sorry but I am at a loss with this. Mickey Mouse Club is as near as Wiki gets me.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast