Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Yikes! Any one know what to do here? Fibreglass structural problem under mast

Ok I've got this 50y/o boat at a steal, but it's in a pretty bad way, and it's my first fiberglass boat, so I'm not experienced with the material.

It's got a deck stepped mast, which looks like its had a fold at some point, as it's been heavily reinforced from underneath, with beams and steel angles, bolted directly into the port and starboard ply bulkheads, which make up the forward lockers (right hand photo).

The problem is, these ply bulkheads do not meet the floor themselves, (they terminate at a thinnish fibreglass liner layer, approximately 12inches tall from the floor), and the forces from this reinforcement have obviously now been transferred straight down the bulkhead, (middle photo) and look like they've deformed the bottom fibreglass liner into which the bulkheads mount (left hand photo, with straight edge held in comparison, to demonstrate deformation). This deformation is on both port and starboard sides.

Any ideas to sort this, other than entirely stripping out the cabin, to get to and reinforce the fibreglass underneath the ply bulkheads...? (Or more likely just ripping the whole liner out and rebuilding the whole structure of the cabin, using wood instead....)

Thanks for your knowledgable advice, as ever...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yourmomm; 19-10-18 at 08:45.
    if only i could afford the BBA course.....

Default Re: Yikes! Any one know what to do here? Fibreglass structural problem under mast

Is the first picture upside down? Of the floor?

The structural timbers look OK,
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Default Re: Yikes! Any one know what to do here? Fibreglass structural problem under mast

I wouldn’t have thought the bulkheads were designed to take the compression from the mast. My front bulkhead sits on a fibreglass beam like yours. The deck stepped mast sits on top of a compression post. You don’t say what make the boat is. Have you looked for an owners association that might have details of the construction.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by MoodySabre View Post
    You don’t say what make the boat is. Have you looked for an owners association that might have details of the construction.
    A previous post of the OP said it's a Storfrida 25, which I'd never heard of.

It looks to me as if the mast load is supposed to be supported by the bulkhead (forward of the mast step) and the ring beam (aft of the mast step). This pic of another Storfrida 25 shows the structure quite well.

It's maybe not the most robust solution, as you've found. If you're faced with finding a way of reinforcing the existing structure, maybe the answer is to try to strengthen the vertical sections which the longitudinal bulkheads bear on?

The diagram of the boat here https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/storfidra-25 shows that the mast is not supported by the transverse bulkheads but by a beam as shown in the above photo.
    Not all who wander are lost

A quick googling shows that this problem is not unknown.
    Here is a forum thread with some pictures from someone who tried to solve it.
    Perhaps you could run it through Google translate and make something out of it:
    https://www.maringuiden.se/forum/top...drans-mastfot/

Whoa great find Babayaga, what search term found this? (Google only seems to find English websites for me). I have no idea what the text says but there seems to be a back and forth between two different ideas to try: the first, to try to place a spreader/support directly under the vertical beams, inside the fiberglass liner (I don't see how to do this, without stripping out much of the liner, to get access); the other seems to confirm pvb's idea to sister/strengthen the vertical supports. It looks like this may be possible without having to get too destructive, (although it would severely restrict the passageway, and would make my plan of putting a woodburner there, nigh on impossible....but needs must, when the devil drives).

Any other suggestions?
    if only i could afford the BBA course.....

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    A previous post of the OP said it's a Storfrida 25, which I'd never heard of.
    Storfidra 25, Swedish boat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngb9IUR5KQc
    https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/storfidra-25

Quote Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
    Yes, you're right, but the OP had said it was a "Storfrida 25".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast