Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thinking of selling my Drascombe to hire a boat occasionally instead!

I am thinking the unthinkable about selling my much loved Drascombe to occasionally hire a small boat instead. Does anyone know of any companies along the south coast preferably Chichester - Weymouth that hires smaller, powered sailing boats suitable for single handing?

The reason for this for those that know me is that I have really got back into motorbiking this year and see my my new mates 2-3 times a week and we go out regularly for rides. It takes 15 mins to get the bike and myself ready before I have instant fun. In contrast my boat sits on the drive most of the year, and sailing for me with sea sickness when weather conditions are right is limited. I would be VERY sad to see my boat go but It just makes if I could just hire a boat occasionally and free up funds to put into my new hobby. I have not sailed at all this year and only bob about mostly in estauries when I do. I was talking to a marine designer who now works largely abroad who was saying thay many folks are chartering instead of owning and it kind of makes sense if you can only sail occasionally. To be able to hire a little Shrimper/Drascombe etc occasionally would be ideal for me.

Default Re: Thinking of selling my Drascombe to hire a boat occasionally instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
    I am thinking the unthinkable about selling my much loved Drascombe to occasionally hire a small boat instead. Does anyone know of any companies along the south coast preferably Chichester - Weymouth that hires smaller, powered sailing boats suitable for single handing?

The reason for this for those that know me is that I have really got back into motorbiking this year and see my my new mates 2-3 times a week and we go out regularly for rides. It takes 15 mins to get the bike and myself ready before I have instant fun. In contrast my boat sits on the drive most of the year, and sailing for me with sea sickness when weather conditions are right is limited. I would be VERY sad to see my boat go but It just makes if I could just hire a boat occasionally and free up funds to put into my new hobby. I have not sailed at all this year and only bob about mostly in estauries when I do. I was talking to a marine designer who now works largely abroad who was saying thay many folks are chartering instead of owning and it kind of makes sense if you can only sail occasionally. To be able to hire a little Shrimper/Drascombe etc occasionally would be ideal for me.
    Which Drascombe do you have?

Default Re: Thinking of selling my Drascombe to hire a boat occasionally instead!

Not easy to argue against that. Horses for courses. etc. I don't get out very often right now, but the boat is a security blanket in the barn. Maybe better used by someone else more often?

Caveat.. I am building another, more suited to creaking bones...;o)

Not aware of anybody who hires out what you are looking for. No money in it as demand low and costs high.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Not aware of anybody who hires out what you are looking for. No money in it as demand low and costs high.
    I think there is (or used to be) someone hiring out Shrimpers or similar in the Falmouth area - but as you say, not common.

Pete

Why not combine sun and an old shoe? Bloke rents out a drascombe on a Greek Island, along with the house.

I don't know of any for hire in the area you mention, but Shrimpers can be hired in Cornwall at Mylor Boat Hire - http://mylorboathire.co.uk/ and Drascombe Longboats at St Anthony ( at the mouth of the Helford river) - http://www.sailawaystanthony.co.uk/

However neither as you will see are cheap but then you haven't the costs of owning a boat! Maybe take a holiday in Cornwall and hire a boat there - I can recommend St Anthony ( they also have holiday cottages) very safe and ideal for young children.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
    It takes 15 mins to get the bike and myself ready before I have instant fun. In contrast my boat sits on the drive most of the year, and sailing for me with sea sickness when weather conditions are right is limited. I would be VERY sad to see my boat go but It just makes if I could just hire a boat occasionally and free up funds to put into my new hobby.
    One solution is to keep the boat afloat. I kept my Longboat in the marina for some years making it easy to nip out for a couple of hours whatever the state of the tide. If you have a Lugger it would be cheaper but it is of course a money thing...I tried trailer sailing some years ago but the effort and time involved put me off.

Some sailing clubs have boats that members can use, the local one has been offered a variety of dinghies at various times but has declined them because we do not have the membership numbers to justify use and maintenance, however there are dayboats in the yard that I could borrow. Most larger clubs have small boats for teaching kids and often a larger stable craft to encourage adults, we used to keep a Laser 13 cruising dinghy to entertain the mums when they brought their kids down for classes in the Picos, but even in those that haven't it should not be long before you encounter someone who would be willing to share. My other club is big into disabled sailing and keeps two boats in a marina for the purpose but is always anxious to encourage their use.

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

It won't help you unless you are on holiday, but Linnie Marine on Loch Linnie have (or at least used to) a Drascombe Lugger for hire. I know because we sailed it 15 years ago.

We faced a bit of a dilemma earlier this year, we were having thoughts that we didn't use our boat enough. Then we noticed a vacancy in a boat share group. So we sold our boat and joined that group. Now, for less money that we were paying to keep our own boat, we have 2 boats available to sail in 2 different locations, and a group of 6 other people to go sailing with. We hope this will mean we go sailing more than we used to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast